PTSO sponsors all-school social

Families+and+friends+lay+out+their+blankets+and+chairs+for+the+all-school+movie+night+hosted+by+the+PTSO.+The+event+took+place+outside+Ke%CA%BBeaumokup%C4%81pa%CA%BBiaheahe+on+Saturday%2C+Jan.+28.+
Families and friends lay out their blankets and chairs for the all-school movie night hosted by the PTSO. The event took place outside Keʻeaumokupāpaʻiaheahe on Saturday, Jan. 28.

Photo by Riann Fujihara

Photo by Riann Fujihara

Kamehameha Schools Maui’s Parent-Teacher-Student ‘Ohana sponsored an all school social on Saturday, Jan. 28, 2017, outside of Keʻeaumokupāpaʻiaheahe dining hall.

“It’s great, it’s fun, it’s family time! It’s so good for the kids and socializing,” junior parent Cindy Garcia said.

Prior to the event, PTSO board representatives from each class formed a committee to select a movie and plan the other activities. The board also donated the funds to purchase Zippy’s chili and rice bowls for dinner.

“As a PTSO board, one of our goals was creating ‘ohana and unity among the campuses. We had three different things that we were working on, and that was communication, unity, and giving back to the community,” PTSO secretary Kaulana Silifaiva said. Silifaiva’s son is senior Noa Moikeha-Silifaiva, and this will be her last year on the PTSO board. 

The event started at 5:30 p.m. with a raffle and free carnival games, such as soda ring toss, bean bag toss, and a fishing game. Representatives from each class sold popcorn, cotton candy, glow sticks and other items. All of the money the representatives made will go to their own class funds. 

Sophomore class representatives sell cotton candy, chips, and candy to raise money for their class.

The Hawaiian club Ola Nā Iwi was also there to host the carnival games for the kids. 

“I’m here with my club, Ola Nā Iwi, and we’re working for a grant that PTSO gave to us for our trip to Canada, to go to [the World Indigenous Peoples Conference on Education] for a project that we did,” junior Ariana Hurdle said.

As the carnival games came to a close, many families and friends were scattered along the edge of the quad with blankets and chairs. Although the weather was a bit cold, everyone seemed to have come prepared.

The night ended with the showing of the movie Queen of Katwe, which started at 6:30 p.m. After the movie began, it started to rain, so the movie was moved into Keʻeaumokupāpaʻiaheahe.

In the end, PTSO showed their support for the school’s students and their families by sponsoring a event that brought students of all ages and their families together for a movie night filled with lots of fun, laughter, and games.

Junior parents Desiree and Steven Aruda serve free Zippy's chili and rice bowls to the families.

1 Comment

One Response to “PTSO sponsors all-school social”

1. Kuon Hunt on February 2nd, 2017 6:23 am

I was sorely disappointed to find that the bulk of the prizes for games played by younger children at the social were lollipops. My granddaughter ended up with 13 lollipops, 1 popcorn, 1 gum and 1 cotton candy. Certainly we can do better than to fill our keikis with sugar. How about some more Hawaiian snacks next time? Could a club or group take on drying coconut as both a learning experience and to supply prizes? How about dried mango or other fruits? Even small packages of chips or pretzels or lots more popcorn would be appreciated. As parents and grandparents, we all know that sugar is not good for the health of our keikis. It is sad to see it being put out at a parent-sponsored event as the reward for success. Surely we can be more creative and healthful in our treats next time.

[Reply]

• PTSO sponsors all-school social

Entertainment

Literary Arts hosts awards, induction, performance

• PTSO sponsors all-school social

Entertainment

KSM band program conducts final concert

• PTSO sponsors all-school social

Entertainment

Students connect through Spring Concert

• PTSO sponsors all-school social

Entertainment

ʻAha Mele: Behind the scenes

• PTSO sponsors all-school social

Entertainment

‘Power and Folly’: Japanese satire plays Monday

• PTSO sponsors all-school social

Entertainment

Hawaiian Ensemble hosts dress rehearsal before travels to Aotearoa

• PTSO sponsors all-school social

Entertainment

Teachers give advice for young love

• PTSO sponsors all-school social

Entertainment

“Bullying Collection” grabs stage

• PTSO sponsors all-school social

Entertainment

Bubbles make for good clean run

• PTSO sponsors all-school social

Entertainment

Spirits soar, sink at Spring Spirit Week assembly

PTSO sponsors all-school social