Filed under Opinions, Top Stories

‘Let It Snow’ now on at Ka’ahumanu Center

At the first showing of

At the first showing of "Let it Snow!" many people came out to experience the snow bubbles firsthand.

Photo by Meaaloha McCabe

Photo by Meaaloha McCabe

Who said it couldn’t snow on Maui? “Let it Snow!” is a new snow show at Queen Kaʻahumanu Center that will be playing throughout this month. There will be shows on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays at 6:30 and 8:00 p.m. in front of the center stage from Dec. 1-22. There will be additional shows at 12 and 2 p.m. on Dec. 24.

Where will you be enjoying snow this winter?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The show consists of 10 minutes of Christmas music and snow, with Starbucks giving out free hot cocoa.

Before heading down to watch the snow bubbles, I’m sure you have some questions, so I went myself to figure out everything you might want to know. Here are a few answers.

When should I head down?

You should head down to the mall about a half an hour earlier than the showing.

Will there be hot cocoa at every showing?

Yes, Starbucks will be providing hot cocoa in their signature holiday cups at every showing .

Where should I stand? 

It really depends on the wind on the night that you go. Also, if you like to be a part of the crowd, the best place to stand is on the first floor in front of the stage. But, if you don’t like crowds, the balcony is a great place to stand too. When looking for a place to stand look up to see where the snow machines are. The bubbles just flow out of the machines, but will be caught in the wind.

What’s the snow like?

The “snow” really looks like real snow but it’s actually like soap bubbles. The soap bubbles dissolve on contact, and if you catch some on your tongue don’t be surprised if it tastes like soap. Also, the soap bubbles will get in your hair but they’ll disappear within a few seconds. The soap bubbles are made of mostly water and are nontoxic. A lot of the bubbles will land on the ground but will disappear quickly and won’t make the ground slippery.

What should I expect, and is it really worth it? 

You should expect there to be quite a crowd since this is the first time the mall is doing this. The show won’t have synced lights with the music. It will only have snow bubbles falling from the ceiling and regular yellow lights on with christmas music blasting. Personally, I don’t think its worth going out of your way for, but if you’re going in that direction or heading to the mall already, then it’s worth seeing. It’s also fun for children, especially if they’ve never seen snow.

At every show, Starbucks will be passing out free hot cocoa in their signature holiday cups and also be passing out punch cards for your next visit to Starbucks.