Filed under Opinions

Fun Size: Easter Edition

Dying Easter Eggs is a family tradition. This year we used rice to dye our eggs and bonded over the new way to add to our yearly celebration.

Photo by Meaaloha McCabe

Photo by Meaaloha McCabe

Easter. A day where churches are filled with some familiar and unfamiliar faces. When everyone comes dressed in their Easter best and when Jesus has a huge smile on his face. Yeah. I love Easter.

Every year my family throws a little Easter get together where our friends and family come over to eat until our bellies can take no more and the little kiddies run around the yard looking for the Easter Bunny’s hidden treasures.

One of my all time favorite things to do on Easter is to decorate Easter eggs. From rolling the eggs in a bowl of dyed rice to gently putting on hot wax to create little designs, dying eggs is truly an art.

Each child was able to decorate their own egg using the tupperware filled with rice and food dye.

Photo by Meaaloha McCabe

One of my favorite ways to decorate eggs is called wax-resist. This way I can create more intricate designs that I wouldn’t be able to with just a crayon or a sharpie. I would create designs using a wax stylus that looks similar to a quill. This year we have been dying eggs with rice (I know it sounds weird).

As I watched my little sister and her friends dye eggs together, it made me reminisce about all the fun times I had dying eggs when I was little. One memory was going to my aunty’s house and dying eggs with her and some people from church. My siblings and I were usually the youngest kids there, surrounded by old ladies wearing Hawaiian mu’umu’us. We would all sit at one long table and talk about anything. I was very young and didn’t always understand what the adults were saying but, I can distinctly remember the joy on everyone’s faces. They were all laughing and smiling at each other because they were genuinely having a good time. The room was always filled with everyone’s loud laughs.

This is what Easter and dying eggs is all about. Coming together to talk story and to reminisce about the past, when families can get to enjoy each other’s company and to begin to make plans for the future. Although dying eggs may seem like a simple craft, there is definitely more to it than just decorating Easter eggs.

Everyone huddled during brunch to get out of the hot Easter sun.