Filed under Sports, Top Stories, Video

Track and field sprints towards finish

Junior Spencer Keanini competes in the boys 100-meter dash in the 5th track and field meet last night. Teammates and many family and friends cheered the athletes on as they ran. A few of the Warriors made the top eight in their event and competed in Saturday's finals as well.

Photo by Kimani Fernandez-Roy

Photo by Kimani Fernandez-Roy

KAHULUI–The Kamehameha School Maui Track and Field athletes participated in their 5th MIL meet last night at the Yamamoto Track and Field facility.

“As the season has changed, they seem to have cut down a [lot] of the meets that usually occur,” assistant coach Nelson Waikiki said.

With little meets left to participate in, the Warriors are working hard for states that will be coming up in the beginning of May.

Junior Lily Gavagan set a personal record last night in the girl’s pole vault with a cleared height of 6ʻ 6″. While Freshman Samuel Ostermiller also set a personal record in the high jump with a cleared height of 5ʻ 8″.

Many of the Kamehameha Schools Maui athletes have been running, jumping, and throwing faster, higher, and farther than ever.

Junior Analis Nitta got second for the girls 100-meter dash with a time of 12:97. All athletes needed to place in the top eight of lasts nights meet in order to compete in tonight’s meet.

“Our mascot is the Warriors, not the malasadas,” coach Waikiki said. Elaborating on this statement, he explains how the athletes need to act like warriors, to battle and compete.

Although they do not have as much time as they would like to prepare for states, coaches hope to get the athletes more competitive before then.

Coach Waikiki has also noticed that those who are really dedicated to coming to practice and work hard, really came out and performed as well as show their potential.

Due to the fact that this meet was only trials for the meet tonight, there were events such as the girls 1500-meter run and the boys 110-meter high hurdles, that did not happen. However, all events that did and did not occur last night will be happening tonight for the finals, and it will only include the top eight for each event.

Girls get ready for their 100-meter preliminary race. Junior Analis Nitta (far right) placed third in this heat.