KSM water polo ends season

Maui Warriors lose to Seabury Spartans in season-ender

Junior Madison Dutro blocks during KSM water poloʻs last game of the season against Seabury Hall, April 20.

Photo by Aaron Veincent

Photo by Aaron Veincent

The Kamehameha Maui Warriors lost 11-6 against Seabury on a stormy Thursday in Kihei, eliminating them from the MIL tournament and ending their water polo season.

The girls began this year with a big win over Maui High with a score of 11-5, since then, though, the team struggled to capture more wins.

“The team struggled with some communication issues and players’ commitment to attending practices and games, so that led to some discord within the team dynamic,” team captain Quinn Shiraishi said.

Starting off with 25 girls, the roster quickly dropped to 17 by the second week, then 14 by the end of the season.

After the first pre-season practice week, girls began lacking commitment, reaching a point where only four girls would be present at a practice.

The team won a total of three season games out of ten played. Many considered the number of absentees to be the biggest problem.

“Many of the girls definitely put in 110% effort the season, but overall we struggled with attendance, and several injuries early in the season,” Coach Nicki Barsamian said.

Coaches Allyn Kalaiwaʻa and Barsamian addressed this issue head on near the end of their season. Following the emotional talk, the attendance of the team and their relationships improved.

“Our team went through hardships, but we learned to build each other up,” team captain Tiyanni Mahi said.

The final two weeks of the season had the highest attendance rate out of the whole season. Several girls, like junior Justice Rodrigues, said that the ending of the season was “the closest they’ve ever been.”

Water polo is not over yet! The water polo team will be going up against the senior boys in a friendly competition on Tues. at 3:00 p.m.

Coach Allyn and Coach Nicki are also hosting a water polo clinic in hopes to better the team and recruit more players.

The water polo clinic and open pool will be held from 2:45-4 p.m. on Thursdays and Fridays beginning on May 4. It is open to incoming 7th and 8th graders as well as high school students who want to prepare for next year’s season.

For an hour and fifteen minutes, students will get the chance to run drills and play scrimmages. All girls who are interested are welcome.

Sophomore Victoria Ngalu attempts to pass to senior Kūlia Fernandez.