Drumline recruitment: no experience, no problem

Sophomores Analicia Kapua, Christian Niles and freshman Tatiana Soon practice a drum beat Wednesday afternoon, April 12, in the High School Band Room with Ms. Kim and Mr. Jones. The Drumline had their first meeting with set practice schedules and audition dates.

Photo by Brianne Reformina

Photo by Brianne Reformina

The beat of Kamehameha Schools Maui’s first drumline began with its first meeting April 12, Wednesday afternoon, in the high school band room.

Nine Kamehameha Maui students attended the first meeting, and they immediately began to learn the basics of drumming.

“In the last three years I’ve taught high schools, they’ve had massive drumlines. I’ve talked to Ms. Kaʻawa and I made plans to create a drumline here at this school,” band teacher Jamie Kim said.

Ms. Kim is in her first year at Kamehameha Maui, and she’s devoted to making band more prominent in the school. The band itself has increased as the amount of students in it went from nine students to thirty as she has persuaded upcoming freshmen to join the high school band.

Ms. Kim explains the importance of a tight ʻohana when you join the drumline.

Photo by Brianne Reformina

“When at football games, the drumline is the one to pump up the crowd, and everybody will want to see you,” Ms. Kim said.

Although the drumline has held their first meeting, it’s not too late to join in and try the drums, no experience needed. The next rehearsals will continue to grow as the first meeting had students getting down to the beat of all the drums provided.

“It was fun learning the new techniques of drums and Mr. Jones knows how to teach well,” freshman Tatiana Soon said.

Mr. Thomas Jones was a drumline instructor in Alabama, but now, he’s at Kamehameha Maui to help start a new drumline. His knowledge and experience with drumlines may encourage students to take part even if inexperienced.

“He explains things very clearly and strategically, so those who are unexperienced and willing to learn something new can feel confident with this new experience,” Ms. Kim said.

The few students that attended the first ever drumline meeting read over the practice dates until the first audition in May.

Photo by Brianne Reformina

The first meeting started with a brief introduction from Ms. Kim and Mr. Jones. Then, they shared a schedule and basic principles list to explain what a drumline is and what each drumline person is responsible for.

Mr. Jones even added a little drumline demonstration to give an idea of how this new opportunity can increase particpants’ skills and knowledge.

Excited and ready to begin, the students formed a semi-circle around Mr. Jones, and he taught stick holds, foot stance and several drum beats.

The meeting ended on a good note with students laughing from the drum exercise.

“Just come and try out! It’s never too late to do something that you haven’t done before,” Ms. Kim said.

The next rehearsal will be this Wednesday, April 19, at the high school band room, 2:30-4:15 p.m. No experience, no problem!

Sophomores Christian Niles, Analicia Kapua and a few sixth-and-seventh graders listen to Ms. Kim and her introduction on drumline.

Photo by Brianne Reformina

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Drumline recruitment: no experience, no problem”

1. Sarah Anne on May 21st, 2017 7:36 am

Tom is a great teacher! These kids are lucky to have him. Have fun!!

[Reply]

Jamie KIm Reply:

Agreed!!!

[Reply]

• Drumline recruitment: no experience, no problem

Student Life

ʻUala fair brings curious teachers, students, families

Student Life

Spring Fling dance draws school year to close

Student Life

Ka Papa Lama embraces junior prom night as one to remember

Student Life

‘Kings and Queens’ finish with final formal

Student Life

Spring Spirit Week features competition, dress changes

Student Life

Warriors battle Moody’s Mega Math Challenge

Student Life

Nitta walks for Alzheimer’s awareness

Student Life

Mountain View Choir sings at KSM

Student Life

Snapchat streakers keep connected

Student Life

Fleetball in the quad