Boys Volleyball: Warriors’ senior night ends with win

Seniors Haweookalani Johnson and Keomaikalani Chun jump to block a Sabers spike Tuesday night, April 18, at Kaʻulahenuiokamoku gym. The Warriors won the game, 25-16, 25-17, 25-23.

Photo by Brianne Reformina

Photo by Brianne Reformina

Five seniors from Kamehameha Mauiʻs boys volleyball team enjoyed their senior night Tuesday, April 18, at Kaʻulahenuiokamoku gym with a win against the Maui High School Sabers. The Warriors defeated the Sabers 25-16, 25-17 and 25-23.

Seniors Hanalei Hoopai-Sylva, Keomaikalani Chun, Haweookalani Johnson, Hanalei Alapai and Ronald “Keahi” Jacintho played in most of the sets, earning the Warriors another win for their season, which is closing soon.

“[Seniors] helped us this season, and now, we have a chance for first seed [in the MIL tournament] and to earn a state berth,” junior Austin Peters said.

Late last week, the Warriors had defeated Nā Aliʻi for the first time since the 2004 season, and they’ve only lost two games in their volleyball season so far, giving them a chance to take the first seed spot in the Maui Interscholastic League boys volleyball tournament. 

“The boys brought it together, and they have a close chance of winning the MIL tournament and going to a state tournament,” coach Robert Brede said

Johnson had three kills in a row in the Warriorsʻ first set with Chun and Jacintho right on the Sabers blocking most of their spikes. The Warriors won the first set, 25-16.

In the second set, Hoopai-Sylva gave the Sabers a hard time spiking full force towards the outside hitters. Alapai had nearly eight kills for the Warriors towards the end of the set as they earned another win, 25-17.

The Warriors experienced some difficult times in the third set with serves just not making it over and the Sabers coming out strong off the two-minute break. Sabers Ryan Piano and Noah Rohozinski made most of the kills for Maui High, finding the sweet spots in the Warriors’ lineup.

“They just had to focus on the set at the moment and remember their fundamentals,” Coach Brede said.

The score wavered, but the Warriors came out with their third set win of the night, 25-23. The seniors then had a little ceremony of introduction and an opportunity to spike volleyballs toward their coaches and teammates.

The Warriors’ showdown with Nā Aliʻi Thursday, April 20, at 6 p.m. at King Kekaulike will be a winner-takes-all match. Whoever comes out on top will be the regular season MIL champion and will also earn a spot at the state tournament.

The seniors enjoy senior night as "Kings of the Court" echoing their class theme of "kings and queens."