Boys Volleyball: Warriors trump Lunas with senior night win

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sophomore Iverson Dudoit and senior Kahai Bustillos go up to block in the second set. The Warriors won 3-0 against Lahainaluna on their senior night at Ka'ulaheanuiokamoku gymnasium April 17.

Photo by Riann Fujihara

Photo by Riann Fujihara

Photo by Riann Fujihara

After the Maui Warriors’ 3-0 victory over the Lunas, senior Noa Vierra confirmed that their senior night game had a bitter-sweet feeling. With posters of seniors on each wall, and balloons crowding the entrance, it definitely ended their last home game with a bang.

“After this season, I’m going to miss my team first, practicing, and playing games. We had a good season, and I’m proud of my team,” Vierra said.

The Warriors are undefeated and have already secured a spot in the state championship. Their 26-24, 27-25, and 25-22 victory did not come easily. Throughout the game, they fought to stay on top and each set win was not guaranteed.

“We wanted to go into this game with a team effort, although it is senior night. We wanted to give the moments for the seniors, but most importantly, we wanted to come out victorious,” Coach Robert Brede said.

At the beginning of the game, the seniors were recognized because all of the starters were seniors.

Senior Hinano Long was powerful at the net with 11 kills, senior Austin Peters kept the control on the Warriors’ side with numerous assists, and sophomore Iverson Dudoit was a spike-blocking barrier throughout the game.

At the end of this season, the team will be losing seniors Austin Peters, Rafael Adolpho, Noa Vierra, Tyson Haupu, Michael Singh, Hinano Long, Keoni Rosete, and Kahai Bustillos.

Coach Brede said that this was the best team he ever coached. He believes that he had a great bunch of seniors under the leadership of two good captains, Austin Peters and Rafael Adolpho.

“All of them played to their potential, and all of them came a long way,” Coach Brede said. “I’ve been coaching these seniors for three years. You can see their progression as they got better. They got more focused and played the top of their game, and that’s all I could ask for.”

Come support the Warriors at their next game as they approach the end of their season. The Maui Interscholastic League tournament begins April 21, the semifinals will be next week Monday, and finals will be the following day at King Kekaulike High School.