Softball Lady Warriors take it home

Despite a desperate dive, this Na Ali’i player is decidedly out, tagged before she even got to the base. The Maui Warriors won 4-1 in this March 30, 2011 game.

MAKAWAO- 4 to 1 was the final score today after the Kamehameha Maui Warriors softball team took on and defeated the King Kekaulike Na Aliʻi at Eddie Tam Softball Field in Makawao.

The Warriors went into the top of the seventh inning tied, 1-1, but brought in three runs before the half ended.

“It was an ugly win” Head Coach Angus Peters said. “We came out flat in the beginning, and took ’til the seventh inning to really start driving them in.”

Coach Peters also acknowledged their competition’s performance. He said, “King Kekaulike is a tough team. They are very good. Don’t let their record or score today fool you.”

The four Warrior scorers were Kaleihoku Kubota (11), Kierston Perry (13), Kahea Arrieta (2) and Uluwehi Young (3).

“We could have done better, but we played hard and together as a team.” Arrieta said.

Young said, “We stayed in there, and today I made my best hit of the season!”

Na Alii Head Coach James Hapakuka game said, “I am happy. My offense is slowly coming around, and our defense really came out strong and were able to hold the other team.”

Coach Hapakuka explained that he is proud of his girls and that it was awesome seeing some family rivalry spark up as the Perry sisters “played hard against each other.” Senior Kierston Perry pitches for the Warriors, and her sister plays for Na Ali’i.

The next Warrior softball game against Baldwin High School will be this Saturday, April 2, at noon. Both Young and Arrieta agreed it’s going to be a tough competition. They said, “We’re definitely going to practice and play hard for the next game.”