Kamehameha Relays change up the game plan

Hanoa+Puaa-Freitas
Senior Hanoa Puaa-Freitas hurls the discus at the first Kamehameha Relays track and field event April 1, 2011.

PUKALANI- After seven years of not having relay competitions in the Maui Interscholastic League Track and Field meets, Track and Field Head Coach Bala Spencer brought them back. Kamehameha Schools Maui hosted the very first Kamehameha Relays at Kana’iaupuni Stadium, Friday, April 1, 2011.

This track and field event was unique for several reasons. First, it included 2 very nontraditional apects, the throwers or weight coed and mens relay as well three other relays for boys and girls. 

This was the first relay competition held in Maui since the Valley Isle Relay held in 2004 and the only relay event that will be held this season.  

In the weight mens 5 x 80 meter relay, each of five boys ran 80 meters. The runners for this event had to be people who do not typically run: the shotput and discus throwers.

he Kamehameha Maui team (in the order of the legs they ran) consisted of all seniors: Kaea Warrington, Nainoa Bright, Hanoa Pua’a-Freitas, Aaron DeCoite and Kai Ka’aukai.

The crowd,  enlivened by the change-up, cheered wildly for their favorite throwers. The race itself had a few handing off glitches and runners were allowed to change lanes at will, which made for an exciting event.

In the end, KSMaui’s Kai Ka’aukai blasted out of the handoff and rocketed home like a seasoned sprinter. He finished in first place, full seconds in front of the second and third place teams, Saint Anthony and Maui High Schools.

Third leg runner Pua’a Freitas said, “This is the very first time we had a weight men’s relay, and I’m happy to be on the first team.”

Three teams composed of three girls and two boys ran in the weight coed relay. Kamehameha Maui did not field a team in this event for the lack of enough girls to meet the criteria of throwers who would also run.

The other relays were the boys and girls sprint medley, in which four runners ran 800 meters, each taking one leg of either 100, 100, 200 or 400 meters; the girls and boys 4 x 800 meter relay; and the girls and boys 4 x 400 meter relay.

The Maui Warriors placed first, second and last in the boys sprint medley and second in the girls sprint medley.  

KSM 9-10 principal, Mr. Lance Cagasan, said, “It’s always good when we host an event at our school. It’s an overall positive environment. I think the kids and fans really enjoy it.”

Kamehameha Maui also placed well in the traditional events taking first place in

• girls high jump – Raven Poepoe
  • girls triple jump – Ashley Wendt
  • girls discus – Diondra Gomes
  • girls 4 x 100 meter relay and
  • boys 4 x 100 meter relay.