Water polo girls get back in the groove

Senior Kim Chin fends off a Luna as she looks for an opening to pass at the girls water polo game at the Pi’ilani Aquatic Center on Saturday, April 9. The Lunas won 12-10.

Although the Lahaina Lunas won, 12-10, the Kamehameha Schools Maui water polo girls were back in the groove at this morning’s game, Saturday,  April 9, at Kamehameha’s Pi’ilani Aquatic Center.

“We played our best game of the year,” said Coach Leo Delatori.

Kalei’opio Guth started the game with the first goal. The first half went by quickly, with the Lunas taking an early lead. But the Warriors ended the half on a good note, moving within striking distance when junior Kara Frampton shot the last goal of the half and brought the score to 5-8, in favor of the Lunas.

After the half-time break, one of the referees explained that an ejected Luna had not kicked out of the playing area in the last seconds of the first half when Lahaina had scored a goal, so at the start of the second half,  the last 8.64 seconds of the first half were replayed.

The Luna’s failed to score in that time, so the score was reset to 5-7.

The second half was the where most of the excitement took place.  Warrior senior Kaulana Ane scored first, making the score 6-7.

The battle was fierce with fouls and ejections called nearly every minute, but the Warriors brought the score to a 9-9 tie on a goal by Ane with 3:56 left in the game.

The crowd cheered with the excitement of a possible Warrior win against the Lunas, long-time Maui Interscholastic League champions. 

In the last few minutes, play got rougher with more girls being pulled under and more fouls being called.

The Lunas scored three more times, while Ke’ikeokalani Acain made the last goal for the Warriors, and the game ended with the score 12-10, Lunas.

“It was really exciting. Kamehamaha played really hard. Last time they didn’t have Kaulana [Ane] and that made a very big difference,” said Coach Will Hutchison.  

In the previous game against Lahainaluna the score was 16-2, Lunas.  

“Everyone had a great game that could have gone either way,” said KSM Athletic Director Kurt Ginoza.