Filed under News, Top Stories, Video

Allies for Equality march for women’s rights

Allies for Equality members march for women's rights Saturday morning, Jan. 21, along Kaʻahumanu Avenue.

Photo by Brianne Reformina

Photo by Brianne Reformina

KAHULUI–“He Hawaiʻi au mau a mau…he Hawaiʻi au mau a mau!”

Chants were heard throughout the streets Saturday morning on the University of Hawaiʻi Maui College campus. They came from over 1,500 women’s rights supporters, six of those were students from Kamehameha Schools Maui.

These members of the Allies for Equality or A4E Club participated in the Women’s Rights/Anti-President Trump March Saturday, Jan. 21, along the sidewalk of West Kaʻahumanu Avenue.

Allies for Equality President Anela Brittain and five other active A4E club members chanted with their own signs along with other anti-President Trump/women’s rights activists.

“All of us [marchers] are not for the rhetoric that Trump has been saying throughout his election run, and now that he’s president, we really don’t agree with it,” Brittain said.

Kamehameha Maui teachers Kumu Kapulani Antonio and Kumu Lōkahi Antonio joined the march on Saturday as well.

It's inauguration day for President Donald Trump...

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The 1,500 protestors waved signs along sidewalks by West Kaʻahumanu Avenue starting from the UHMC campus, where entertainment, booths and inspirational speakers were set up.

“I wanted my voice heard…the words; people need to know who he is and what he’s about,” demonstrator Sandy Farmer-Wiles said.

At around 7:30 a.m., people flooded the campus grounds anxiously waiting to march and make their voices heard.

“We [A4E members] felt that this [march] was a really good way to protest on a really wide scale,” Brittain said.

The Women’s March continued for hours with cars honking or others yelling against the protestors, but the march stayed peaceful and no serious violence occurred.

A4E chanted phrases and enjoyed their time fighting for what they believe in.

An active protestor, anonymous by request, said that “everyone needs to love each other and stop rioting.”

Donald J. Trump role as U. S. president was solidified Friday, Inauguration Day, when former President Barack Obama turned over the position.

With Inauguration Day came enraged people have protested, rioted, and engaged in acts of violence in cities all over the United States.

“The violence shouldn’t happen, but that’s what happens when the country disagrees,” the protestor said.

Trump supporters look forward to seeing Trump’s plans for the future and how he will deal with the the demonstrations around the country.

“I’m not about rioting, so the Washington riots is scary but that’s why I’m glad this [march] is a really peaceful protest and a non-violence thing,” Brittain said.

An anonymous Trump supporter at the march said, “Trump may not be the best president, but protesting will only make it worse, so we should just accept it.”

The march finished with an ending ceremony with speakers imparting inspiration and wisdom in each Women’s March supporter.

*Editorʻs note: It is the policy of Ka Leo o Nā Koa to avoid using anonymous sources; however, due to the sensitive nature of this material and the volatile sentiments of the American public at this time of transition, we have made an exception for this story in the interest of public safety.

Protestors in the march dress up with rollerblades.

1 Comment

One Response to “Allies for Equality march for women’s rights”

1. Kapulani Antonio on January 23rd, 2017 7:53 pm

The January 22nd issue of the Maui News estimated 5,000 participants.

[Reply]

• Allies for Equality march for women’s rights

News

Ka Papa ʻŌhiʻa Lehua claim Ihe

News

Hawaiian Ensemble pūkana through Aotearoa

News

Raboy-McGowan accepted to three Ivy League universities

News

Foodland Shop for Higher Education scholarship race is on

News

Dr. Williams advocates for corrected Hawaiian historiography

News

Kekaulike’s new lights: safe, cost effective, conservative

News

Idica wins HPU4Hawaiʻi Scholarship

News

U.S. Naval Recruiter visits campus

News

Today in history: 5 intriguing facts about Rosa Parks

News

ʻOhana kōkua with Thanksgiving imu