Filed under News, Top Stories

Foodland Shop for Higher Education scholarship race is on

Earn scholarships through Foodland's Shop For Higher Education programs. Buy items from Foodland, Sack N Save, or Foodland Farms using your school name and code, 7606, Feb. 15-March 28 to earn points for scholarships for Kamehameha Maui seniors.

Photo by Kimani Fernandez-Roy

Photo by Kimani Fernandez-Roy

February 15 was the start of an opportunity for students to help their schools earn scholarships through Foodlandʻs Shop For Higher Education awards.

Shop For Higher Education will award 100 $2,000 college scholarships to high school seniors across the state of Hawaiʻi.

“We have received 1 $2,000 [scholarship] each year,” Ms. Naomi Ashman said. The determining factor in how many scholarships the school earns is decided by how many points Kamehameha Schools Maui can accumulate from people shopping and designating KSM to receive the points.

KS Maui has missed the opportunity to earn a second scholarship by just a couple of slots each year, Ms. Ashman said.

The scholarship recipient is decided by the counselors and others on the school scholarship committee.

To earn points that count towards the scholarship awards, show your Maikaʻi card to any Foodland, Sack N Save, or Foodland Farms cashier Feb. 15-March 28 and designate 7606 as your school of choice. For every qualifying dollar that is spent, you earn a Maikaʻi point for yourself as well as your school.

Use your Maika'i Card at any Foodland store along with the code 7606, and help KS Maui seniors earn scholarships.

Photo by Kimani Fernandez-Roy
Use your Maika’i Card at any Foodland store along with the code 7606, and help KS Maui seniors earn scholarships.

Designate a school to be associated with your Maikaʻi card on your next visit, and all qualifying purchases from now until the end of the promotion will earn points in the scholarship race.

Bonus points can be earned if you purchase an item marked as being worth double, triple, or quintuple points.

Spread the word and ask your neighbors, parents, and friends. Anyone who uses the school name and code can help earn points for the school and increase the school’s probability of earning more scholarships.

According to the store’s website:

“Scholarships are awarded based on the number of Maika`i Points schools earn in the program: The top 5 schools earning the most points receive (5) $2,000 scholarships each; the next 10 schools earning the most points receive (3) $2,000 scholarships each; the next 10 schools receive (2) $2,000 scholarships each; the next 25 schools receive (1) $2,000 scholarships each.”

For more information on the program, click here.