‘Androcles,’ fun musical plays this weekend, next

The+Lion%2C+played+by+Taytum+Herrick%2C+attacks+Androcles+%28Maverick+Akana%29+in+the+Drama+Club%CA%BBs+performance+of+%CA%BBAndrocles+and+the+Lion.%22+The+play+opens+this+weekend+for+a+2-weekend+run+at+Ke%C5%8Dp%C5%ABolani+Hale.+
The Lion, played by Taytum Herrick, attacks Androcles (Maverick Akana) in the Drama Clubʻs performance of ʻAndrocles and the Lion.

The Lion, played by Taytum Herrick, attacks Androcles (Maverick Akana) in the Drama Clubʻs performance of ʻAndrocles and the Lion." The play opens this weekend for a 2-weekend run at Keōpūolani Hale.

Photo by Analicia Kapua

Photo by Analicia Kapua

The theater department is  performing Androcles and the Lion, an energetic and fun musical this weekend and next. It’s upbeat and entertaining from beginning to end.

The show starts out with a helpful and sweet slave, Androcles (junior Maverick Akana). Androcles is owned by a greedy man, Pantalone (junior Tehoni Naeole), who cares about nothing else than his own money.

Then there is the conceited Captain, played by junior Cullen Mitchell, who acts tough but is secretly a coward. The Lion (senior Taytum Herrick).

Last, there are the two lovers, Isabella & Lelio, who are played by sophomore Taylor Watanabe and junior Jaimelee Felipe, who wish to be wed one day. Throughout the performance, Androcles is being chased by the Captain and Pantalone for a crime that he didn’t commit, but he comes across an unexpected surprise.

The costumes, which portray a modern world look in Rome, are on loan from the Maui Academy of Performing Arts. The props and the set were all made by the Drama Club. The large amount of time spent building the set, paid off–it’s magnificent and adds a lot to the performance.

This musical play was directed and choreographed by KS Maui teacher Ms. Camille Romero. Through her talents, she was able to get all the actors in the play to really embody their characters and know exactly what they are supposed to do.

The choreography was simple, yet intriguing. It had just the right amount of diversity and kept the audience mesmerized.

Watching this play is a memorable experience. You can’t help but smile at every moment in the play.

The play officially opens tonight at 7 p.m., with upcoming shows at the same time tomorrow and next Friday and Saturday, Oct. 27 and 28 and Nov. 3 and 4.  On the two Saturdays, there is also a matinee at 2 p.m.

Come down to Keōpūolani Hale and watch this amazing performance. Admission is free.

The Lion (Taytum Herrick) lectures the Captain (Cullen Mitchell) and Pantalone (Tehoni Naeole).

1 Comment

One Response to “‘Androcles,’ fun musical plays this weekend, next”

1. Teani Kaluhikaua on April 4th, 2018 8:51 am

I would like to know when you guys will make a post about Shakespeare Project and SPAR. Drama Club’s other plays. Mahalo.

• ‘Androcles,’ fun musical plays this weekend, next

Entertainment

Graduation lei tutorial: Haku lei

Entertainment

One pick-up line that lasted a lifetime

Entertainment

‘Unashamed’ worship concert brings island youth groups to KSM

Entertainment

Haumāna host all-campus Christmas concert

Entertainment

Win a prize from Dua Lipa

Entertainment

She’s beauty, she’s Grace VanderWaal: new album dropping Nov. 3

Entertainment

Jazz duo visits KSM

Entertainment

Literary Arts hosts awards, induction, performance

Entertainment

KSM band program conducts final concert

Entertainment

Students connect through Spring Concert