15 place at HOSA Regionals

WAILUKU – A cut-throat battle of determined competitors broke out at Baldwin High School on Monday, January 17, 2011. This was a battle of brains and wit, from which 15 HOSA students emerged victorious at the 6th Annual Maui Regional HOSA competition.

The team was led by advisors Ms. Brandy Cajudoy and Mr. Kyle Fujii.

“This is the best that the students ever did,” Ms. Cajudoy said.

Health Occupations Students of America is a club for students interested in learning more about subjects in the health field.

“I am really happy and really proud of everyone this year. Actually, this is the most that’s ever gone to states,” said senior and three-time competitor Beth Onaga, who won first place in Vet Assisting.

The opening ceremony began at 8:30 a.m., and the events started at 9 a.m. There were 29 events in total, some for individual competitors and others for teams. Events ended at 11 a.m. and competitors relaxed and participated in a session of the dance/exercise sensation Zumba.

“It was a lot of fun and a nice break from all of the learning,” said Junior Abby Okazaki, who won first place in Medical Math.

The award ceremony took place after the students ate lunch and attended break out sessions, where students played games and learned from presentations by other students.

KSM students cheered loudly as one after another of their teammates were given awards for placing in their events.

“I think we did really well. It’s kind of surprising, but I know that most of the people put in a lot of effort,” said Okazaki.

The HOSA competitors to learn about their subject to do well in their event.

“it’s just hardcore studying and just good old-fashioned studying really. They just sit in their rooms and read their books,” said Onaga.

Onaga has competed for HOSA twice before, both times reaching the national level. Last year, she competed at the National Leadership Conference in Florida. She is now the HOSA club president.

“HOSA’s a great way for students to get an inside look into the health field, and I am extremely interested in health, but it’s a great way to make friends and gain leadership skills. I feel like HOSA has given me confidence,” said Onaga.

The fifteen students will be traveling to Oʻahu to compete in the state competition February 23-24, along with 4 other students who were added to various teams and 1 other student who scored high enough in her section to qualify for the state competition.

The group traveling to the state competition contains about twice as many students as groups in past years. They will be chaperoned by both club advisors “which we’ve never had to have before,” Mrs. Cajudoy said.

Ms. Cajudoy said the students will be doing additional studying to prepare for the state competition in order to compete with schools that have HOSA programs in their curriculum, rather than just a HOSA club.

“A lot of them are a lot more prepared, where as our students have to prepare on their own,” said Mrs. Cajudoy.