KSM Alumni Association rummages for sale donations

KSM+Alumni+Association+rummages+for+sale+donations+

Hoʻolauleʻa  will be here at Kamehameha Schools Maui on Saturday, April 14. With Hoʻolauleʻa, come many things: delicious food, fun games, and fundraising.

Ms. Lyndsey Kahuhu (’06) is the chairperson for the 2012 Hoʻolauleʻa Blue and White Elephant Rummage Sale. An alumna from the first graduating class of KSM, she has been working alongside the Alumni Association of Kamehameha Schools Maui to make the rummage sale a success.

“I had volunteered for the rummage sale last year, and it was so much fun. With our sales that we get, everything goes to the alumni association scholarship fund for Maui. It is such a great feeling to know that the scholarships I got to go to college with, I am now available to help raise money for future students,” Ms. Kahuhu said.

She is asking everyone to donate to the sale and encouraging people to volunteer to help out with it on Hoʻolauleʻa day. Anyone can volunteer; they just have to sign up with their PTSO representatives.

As far as donations go, they are asking that people refrain from donating “large” items due to limited space at the event. This means no couches, tables, beds, mattresses, and other things of the like. However, they will accept anything else from purses to pots and pans, dishes, and books.

“With everyone’s effort we are able to give scholarships to future alum of Kamehameha Schools Maui,” she said.

Last year’s event raised almost $2,000 for the scholarship fund.

“It was well-attended,” said Ms. Kris Galago, 2011 rummage sale chairperson. “Most items were sold out by 2:00.”

At this year’s sale, there will be specials such as buy-one-get-one-free, $.50-1.00 off, and in the last hour, all you can get in one of their packages for one low price – last year, that price was $2.00.

But to make the sale a success, the committee needs more donations. The current drop-off locations for donations are the elementary, middle, and high school offices. Parents who have students who use bus transportation are welcome to give the students their donated items to be dropped off at one of the offices.

“Having students help is a big thing. It means a lot to us because it allows students to get a feeling of what the alumni association does for them,” she said.

If anyone has any questions regarding the Hoʻolauleʻa Rummage Sale or would like to sign up to help but are still not sure how, contact Lyndsey Kahuhu by phone: (808) 446-2178 or by email at: [email protected].