TEDx Youth comes to Maui in first-time event

Back to Article
Back to Article

(From left to right, back to front) Baldwin High School's McKayla Wandell,  Seabury Hall's Zeb Mehring, Maui High School's Matthew Sturm, Seabury Hall's Anna Ezzy and Thomas Hayashi, Baldwin High School's William Summers and David Cabañero, Seabury Hall's Aaron Rohozinski, Sacred Heart's Academy's James Hill, Kamehameha Schools Maui's Quinn Shiraishi, Seabury Hall's Kei Inge, and King Kekaulike's Rosie Sutherland will all be speaking at the TEDxYouth event on Sunday, April 6.

(From left to right, back to front) Baldwin High School's McKayla Wandell, Seabury Hall's Zeb Mehring, Maui High School's Matthew Sturm, Seabury Hall's Anna Ezzy and Thomas Hayashi, Baldwin High School's William Summers and David Cabañero, Seabury Hall's Aaron Rohozinski, Sacred Heart's Academy's James Hill, Kamehameha Schools Maui's Quinn Shiraishi, Seabury Hall's Kei Inge, and King Kekaulike's Rosie Sutherland will all be speaking at the TEDxYouth event on Sunday, April 6.

Photo by courtesy of Jasmine Doan

Photo by courtesy of Jasmine Doan

Photo by courtesy of Jasmine Doan

By Jaylin Kekiwi, editor

For the first time on Maui, TEDxYouth is coming to town this Sunday, April 6, 2014. The event is being hosted at the Seabury Hall ʻAʻaliʻikūhonua Creative Center.

TEDx events are local, self-organized events that bring people together “in the spirit of ideas worth sharing,” the TEDxYouth@SeaburyHall Web page says.

“The goal of our event is to empower the youth of Maui who are the leaders of tomorrow,” the site states.

According to the site, the live speakers and video topics to be presented on that day aim to spark “deep discussion” within a small group of people.

The live speakers are 12 middle and high school students who will be sharing their thoughts on the theme, which is “Imagining a Better Tomorrow.” The live speakers include one Kamehameha Maui student, Quinn Shiraishi.

Shiraishi says that she would like “everyone to not judge others on first impressions.”

Other speakers’ topics include heroes, discrimination, originality, and experiential learning.

There will also be interactive workshops with groups such as the Pacific Asian Affairs Council, Women in Tech, Maui Makers, and Earth Friends.

“We want to inspire youth to change the world…we encourage you to take a chance, stand by your beliefs, and tell everyone that they have the power to make change now!” the site says.

There will also be breaks throughout the day, during which participants will be able to enjoy performances by the Seabury Hall Hawaiian Music Ensemble, Seabury Hall Middle School Chorus, Art with Heart and the Maui Flute Choir.

Lunch will be provided.

TEDx Youth will start at 8:30 AM and end at 4:00 PM. If you would like to attend, tickets are available here for $25. For more information, you can click on this link to visit the official TEDxYouth@SeaburyHall site.