Review: Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

Wesley+Kiaha
Senior Wesley Ki’aha as Joseph is admired by a bevy of Egyptian beauties in KS Maui’s drama club production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. The play runs in Keöpüolani Hale, April 9, 15 and 16.

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat not only included vibrant and colorful costumes by Andre’ Morissette but high school actors who played their parts exceptionally well.

Director Camille Romero did a tremendous job of casting, finding just the right fit for each part.

Senior Wesley Ki’aha played an excellent Joseph because of his singing and his unmistakable passion for his character.

Junior Rachel Bega, an already well-known singer on campus, was equally amazing as the Narrator. Her strong vocals, especially in the middle registers,  kept everyone interested and following along.

Senior Alana Song stepped out of her usual niche by playing the upbeat, almost-Jamaican Reuben during “Benjamin Calypso.”

Although Reuben was her first major part in any school musical, she was able to capture the song’s catchiness and liveliness in her portrayal. Song’s voice in “Benjamin Calypso” was a special surprise treat anyone can enjoy.

Song and juniors Hoku Krueger and Kalani Ruidas were hilarious as three of the jealous brothers of Jacob, fronting the extravagant dance formations with their antics and mugging, which added to the lively and entertaining performances.

Ruidas had to be especially versatile to quick change from that role to the sultry Mrs. Potiphar, which she played with brass and sass.

Freshman Ryan Foree, the fresh face on stage, was cast as both Benjamin and Pharaoh, and although those parts are two completely different characters, he excelled in both, especially playing the crowd-favorite Pharaoh.

The audience delighted in his Pharaoh performance and openly cheered him on with whoops, belly laughs and applause. Even though Foree is only a freshman, he has previously developed a foundation in performing arts through his involvement in a variety of  community shows, both dancing and acting.

Overall, I highly recommend going to this musical because of the spirited singing, amusing choreography and committed actors. This small ensemble cast of 16 was able to transform a traditional Bible story into the vivacious and entertaining Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

If you missed it this weekend, there will be two more showings on Friday and Saturday, April 15 and 16. The curtain goes up at 7:30 P.M. in Keopuolani, and admission is free.