Maui Warriors take third at MIL Surf Championship

Senior surfer Levi Almeida competes at the Maui Iinterscholastic League Annual Surf Meet at Ho’okipa Beach Park, Saturday, April 23. Almeida is a seasoned surfer who will be reprsenting KSBE in a national surf meet this summer, too.

The Kamehameha Maui Warriors surf team competed in the 17th Maui Interscholastic Surf Championship at Ho’okipa Beach Park, Saturday, April 23, and took third overall with 149 points, with an individual first place for senior Kalei Guth.

Surf conditions were clear and sunny with light trades and small crumbly waves.

Teams from King Kekaulike, Baldwin, St. Anthony, Seabury Hall, Kamehameha Maui, Maui High, Hana, Maui Prep Acadamy, and Lahainaluna each competed.

The competing divisions included the boys and girls shortboard, longboard, and bodyboarding.

Each heat lasted 15 minutes and at least 50% of participants advanced. The first heat started at 7:30 A.M. and the last heat ended around 6:00 P.M.

“It was a long day and the waves were small, but we’re all out here doing what we love,” said senior Corbin Iaea who entered in the bodyboarding division. “I’m stoked that I was able to advance through to the final heat, the talent this year was tight.”

The Warriors had multiple competitors in each division with many boys and girls advancing into later heats.

Senior Kalei Guth placed first in the girls bodyboarding final.

The boys bodyboarding final included two Warriors–freshman Keanu Gregory, who placed third, and senior Corbin Iaea, who placed fifth.

Sophomore Justice Patao represented KSM in the boys shortboard final, where he  placed fifth, and in the longboard final where he placed third.

No Warriors advanced to the final heat of the girls shortboard.

Overall, King Kekaulike High School placed first with 218 points, and Lahainaluna placed second with 207. Team scores are based on the combined points awarded to all competitors who place in the top three spots.

*Results for a student who was incorrectly reported to be from Kamehameha Maui were removed on May 10.