Warrior football digging in, building up

This article originally appeared in the 9/23/11 print edition.

The Kamehameha Schools Maui Warriors varsityfootball team, with a record of one win and two losses, keeps pushing through
this fresh season.

The team started off the year with a tough pre-season loss to Kapaʻa High School on Kauaʻi, 36-0. This was followed by a double overtime loss to the Sabers of Maui High School, 28-27. The Warriors started strong, but the Sabers scored early in the game. Kūpono Cabanas was the
point leader for the Warriors, scoring multiple times in the game.

Their game against Nā Aliʻi of King Kekaulike was a success, and the team clicked. Leading scorer, quarterback Kalaʻi Yap, brought in two touchdowns. The game ended 24-15, Warriors.

The Warriors then took on the Baldwin Bears at War Memorial Stadium under the Friday night lights. Though the Warriors’ Yap
scored once, the Bears dominated, finishing the game 41-7.

So far this season, some of the team’s strengthsand weaknesses have emerged.

“Our strengths would probably be our speed, heart, and also our physicality on the field.” explained Kaiea Hokoana, #2 and
running back on the Warrior’s varsity offense.

Hokoana also said, “Our weakness is probably our team’s size and that our team is also young and still developing.”

Linebacker Alika Sanchez said, “We are bonding together, and we are getting better each week. I believe we can go far this
season.”

Hokoana said, “I expect that throughout this season, our true leaders on the field will begin to show and motivate the team even through the hardships. I also expect that throughout the season we will also develop more maturely as players, students, and young men.”

If the Warriors defeat Lāhainaluna and keep a better record than the Lunas, we may see the first state appearance for the Warriors since 2006.