Maui Warrior Softball takes loss against King Kekaulike

MAKAWAO-The softball team had a loss against Nā Aliʻi of King Kekaulike, 9-5, at the Eddie Tam softball field yesterday.

“The game was evenly matched, it was very back and forth, but what won it for us was our batting,” said Coach Willie Perry, head coach for King Kekaulike.

The game started off with an almost immediate lead for Nā Aliʻi, who racked up six runs and held the lady Warriors to only one run early on.

Some of the early innings were quick with fast strike-outs and pop-flies, but a couple of the innings were prolonged with long at bats. The Warriors seemed to be coming back in the fourth and fifth innings, in which they scored four of the five runs they put up in the entire game, but Nā Aliʻi took the game scoring their seventh point at the top of the sixth inning and their final two in the seventh. They struck out Kamehameha to end the game.

The final score was 9-5 King Kekaulike, giving the Warriors their second loss of the Maui Interscholastic League regular season.

“We are always disappointed when we lose, but we had an equal game. We commited a lot of errors that set us back, but they [the Warriors] always fight back, and we saw some team cohesiveness,” said Coach Angus Peters, head coach for Kamehameha.

“Our team can do better than this. We have a good bunch of players,” said Ulu Young, senior third baseman for Kamehameha.

Kamehameha faces the Baldwin Bears next at Patsy Mink Field at Maui High School, 11:00 a.m. this Saturday, March 3.