KS boys volleyball spends senior night battling Na Ali’i

KS boys volleyball spends senior night battling Na Alii

The boy’s volleyball team went another round with the King Kekaulike Na Ali`i at the KSM gym on April 12, 2012. Though the Warriors lost all three sets, it was also a time for celebration–their senior night.

“Despite our loss, I think it was a great game for us,” Assistant Coach Henry Davis said. “We played well together and did our best.”

Na Alii currently rank first, being undefeated in the MIL.

“It’s a great feeling,” Na Ali’i Coach Kilohana Miller said. “I attribute it to the players and their hard work on and off the court.”

The Warriors started out with a lot of promise, securing six points before Na Ali’i came back and tied.

Both teams scored point for point for a brief moment, but Na Ali’i took the lead. The Warriors attempted to catch up but fell behind, unable to score more than two points at a time.

Na Ali’i won the first set 25-16.

The Warriors came back into the second set lacking communication and reaction speed. Na Ali’i used this to their advantage, making kills where the Warriors failed to cover up their weak spots.

The second set ended again in King Kekaulike’s favor, 25-16.

The Warriors came back with intensity and confidence in the third and final set, making moves that caused Na Ali’i to stumble over each other and play with uncertainty at times.

“They were getting anxious,” Coach Miller said. “They were too focused on hitting and not passing.”

The Warriors saw a chance and put up a battle. “We fight to the end,” Coach Davis said.

Both the Warriors and Na Ali’i viciously fought point for point. The set seemed like it could be won by either side, until Na Ali’i pulled ahead at 14 points, gaining the lead they needed to take the set.

Na Ali’i won with a kill, 25-17, the ninth loss for the Warriors this season (1-9).

The Warriors were still excited to celebrate their senior night after the game, not letting the loss discourage them.

They said goodbye to their two seniors: Christopher Kim and Koa Rodrigues. Both have played for KS Maui since their freshman year.

Kim wished next year’s players good luck, telling them to “regulate.”

“I enjoyed coaching them a lot,” said Miller, who had previously assisted with volleyball coaching at KSM. “Their true characters showed senior year. They were leaders both on and off the court.”

The Warriors have one game left in their regular season. They play the Baldwin Bears tomorrow, April 18, at the Baldwin gym at 6 p.m.