JV football: Sabers finish strong against Maui Warriors

PUKALANI-The Maui High Sabers emerged victorious, 13-6, from the junior varsity football showdown at Kana’iaupuni Stadium against the Kamehameha Maui Warriors, last night, Sept. 29.

The Sabers started with one touchdown to their name and a failed point after kick, giving them a lead of 6-3 about halfway through the first quarter.

The Warriors finished the quarter by putting up 3 points on a field goal with twenty seconds to go on the period clock.

The Warrior defense held their own throughout most of the second quarter. “Our defense did great in the red zone,” freshman Dylan Delatori said.

Then, in the final ten seconds of the second quarter when the Sabers ran 60 yards to get their second touchdown of the night. With a successful kick, the score was up to 13-3, the Sabers still in the lead.

Halftime came and went, and when the boys were back on the field, they were all business. The Warriors kicked another field goal, giving them 6 points, and with the score 13-6, the third quarter ended.

One of the highlights of the game happened about two minutes into the fourth quarter. Freshman offensive lineman Kamuela Kaniaupio intercepted a Saber pass, giving the JV Warriors one additional possession and possibility to score and tie.

“It felt good, actually. It’s a really good feeling when you actually catch the ball and then start running to try to get a touchdown,” Kaniaupio said.

But, the Warriors were unable to capitalize on the turn of events.

“We had trouble getting out of the red zone. We’d get so far, and then just couldn’t go that one more yard to get the ball into the end zone,” Delatori said.

The game ended with a score of 13-6 in the Sabers’ favor, but it was a much better game than the score would indicate.

Head Coach Jojo Chong Kee was proud of the intensity that the boys brought to the field during the game.

“They played hard the whole time, from beginning to end,” Coach Chong Kee said. “They gave it their all until the clock ran out.”

Catch the junior varsity boys in their next game against the Lahainaluna Lunas Friday, Oct. 5 at 4:30 p.m. at Kana’iaupuni Stadium.