JV Boys Basketball shoots, scores over Spartans

The junior varsity boys basketball team came out victorious against Seabury Hall yesterday night.  After a tough loss against Baldwin on Tuesday, the KS Maui Warriors came back by winning 31-14 over the Spartans.

Freshman Keiran Kauka made the first point of the game. The Warrior’s passing and good defense helped them to stay in the lead, 10-9, at the half.

Sophomore Keoni Frampton’s rebounds and Freshman Pono Pu’u-Robinson’s steals helped to keep the Warriors on top during the second quarter.

During the third quarter, the team had been split into platoons, or smaller teams within the whole. When one platoon was tired out, the other one would sub in for them.

“Our coaches always tell us to breathe, and they push us to our limits during practice, which pays off during the games,” sophomore Lopaka Kealiʻinohomoku said

.As the final quarter continued, it seemed that Seabury Hall could not score on the Kamehameha boys, therefore securing the Maui Warriors with the first win of their season.

Top shooter was sophomore Zack Lopez with five points, followed by teammates Keiran Kauka, Kapena Morando, and Micah Ing at four points each.

“Since the last game we’ve just worked on improving our defensive skills, and we try and learn as much as we can from our mistakes,” Lopez said.

This was the team’s second season game. They had attended the Maui High and Lahainaluna JV tournaments during the preseason, where they went 1-5.

The Warriors’ next home game is on Wednesday, November 21, against Maui High at 7 p.m.