JV boys quench thirst for victory against Baldwin

After a hard five-point loss to King Kekaulike on Tuesday, Nov. 27, the junior varsity boys basketball pulled together Thursday, Nov. 29, against Baldwin High School. After an intense four quarters, Kamehameha came out on top, 42-30.

“We came out really strong, we really needed this win after our loss against King K[ekaulike], the team felt like we needed to win, and that’s what we did,” Maika’ike English said.

During the first quarter, the Warriors were leading 11-10. Fouls by Baldwin enabled freshmen Pono Puʻu-Robinson and Keiran Kauka to contribute four points by making each of their two free throws.

The Warriors had a great passing game in the second quarter with a lot of movement on the court. Sophomore Jesse Amaral pushed hard against Baldwin, even making a shot while being pushed down. Sophomore Micah Ing also scored an open shot as the whistle was being blown for a foul on Baldwin. The second quarter ended with the Warriors still leading, 17-14.

Sophomore Dayson Damuni scored the first shot of the second half. Kauka’s and English’s passing skills and more fouls on the Baldwin side enabled the Warriors to stay ahead in the third quarter, leading 25-21.

Puʻu Robinson started the fourth quarter off with four points scored on free throws. Right after, Kauka was also fouled resulting in another free throw opportunity for the Warriors. He shot 1:2. Damuni held fast and scored twice during the fourth quarter. With  the help of Zack Lopez, Puʻu Robinson, Kauka,  English, and Keone Frampton’s Kamehameha came out victorious with a 12-point win, 42-30.

“We’ve improved in fundamentals and in executing fundamentals. We’ve improved mentally and physically since the last game,” Coach Mo Lau Hee said.

Catch the JV Warriors as they try for two in a row when they challenge Lahainaluna at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 6, at Ka’ulaheanuiokamoku Gym.