KSM Warriors show no fear, win 2-0 against Nā Ali’i

On Friday, January 11, the Kamehameha Maui girls soccer Warriors brought their fierce competition to the field, winning 2-0, against King Kekaulike’s Nā Ali’i at Kana’iaupuni Stadium.

“We knew that this would be a crucial win because we lost last time to them [King Kekaulike]. We just brought everything we had,” junior Marley Duncan said.

With a team made up predominantly of underclassmen, the Maui Warriors pushed close to the Nā Ali’i goal during the beginning of the first half.

Senior Kaylee Correa, junior Julia Saffery and Duncan all made failed runs at the goal. Duncan made many more attempts before freshman Quinn Williams put KSM in the lead with a free kick that went right past King Kekaulike’s wall of defense.

There were ten minutes left in the first half, and KSM was up 1-0.

After the successful goal, sophomore Noelani Reyes ran the ball down to Nā Ali’i’s side and passed to sophomore Maile Sur, but the score attempt was no good.

With only one minute left in the first half, Williams shot for the goal off of a corner kick, but it was kicked away by Nā Ali’i defenders.

On the Warrior side of the field, the fans cheered as junior Hayden Takahashi dove and saved an attempted goal with seconds left in the first half.

KSM Warriors led at the end of the first half with a score of 1-0.

With no time to waste in the second half, Williams, freshman Taira Lucas, sophomore Brandy Takiguchi, all attempted to score, but their balls either missed or were blocked by King Kekaulike’s Shelby Akuna.

At the Warriors’ goal, senior Anuhea Kaiaokamalie made two saves, and the Warriors scored again on a Duncan kick with an assist from junior Kaitlin Barcoma.

The Maui Warriors were relentless in attempts at scoring , and it paid off with a 2-0 victory over Nā Ali’i.

This win puts the girls in first place with ten wins and two losses and keeps them in the running for the MIL championship and state berth, with King Kekaulike (2nd) and Baldwin High School (3rd) close on their heels.

Come out on Tuesday, Jan. 13, when KSM tries to keep their hopes alive when they play against the Maui High School Sabers on at Kana’iaupuni Stadium. Maui High is the only other loss on the Warriors’ books. In their last match-up on December 2, the Sabers squeaked past the Warriors with a 1-0 win.

View Comments (1)