Boys volleyball victorious against Sabers, 2nd in MIL

Senior Kahiau Andrade goes for a kill against two Maui High School players during a game on Tuesday, April 9, 2013 at the Maui High School Gymnasium. The KSM Warriors won all three sets against the Sabers.

The Kamehameha Schools Maui boys volleyball team defeated Maui High School in three sets on Tuesday, April 9, 2013, at the Maui High School gymnatorium.

Though the bleachers were largely empty and the fans quiet, the Warriors’ motivation and energy was high during their game against the Sabers.

“Our energy was up. When the game started, we were in a serious mindset. It was pretty much just a battle for second place [in the Maui Interscholastic League],” senior Kahiau Andrade said.

With this victory, the Warriors achieved Andrade’s goal and moved into second place in the MIL for this season so far, with four games remaining.

During the first set, KSM was shaky in their serving, which resulted in a seven service errors, compared to the Sabers’ one service error, but the Warriors won, 25-17.

Senior Christian Martin-Chu, one of the team’s main setters, injured his ankle in this set and was out for the rest of the game, and senior Kekoa Uyechi and sophomore Iotana Tua teamed up to take over. Uyechi eventually got 15 assists, and Tua got 16 for the night.

Seniors Kolby Ah Sau, Uyechi, Kawelau Yen, and Kahiau Andrade all had kills in the second set. Andrade was the the kill leader for the night with six kills altogether.

The second set went quickly. The Warriors led from the start and eventually won 25-15.

Staying consistently ahead by 9-10 points, the KSM Warriors got the crowd cheering with an exciting last set filled with long back and forth plays. The Warriors seemed stuck at 19 points while Maui High added three points to their side of the board, but the Warriors got back in the groove and won the third set, 25-13.

The KSM Warriors ended with a victory and second place (5-3) in the league so far. Baldwin High School is the current MIL leader.

“You know, with a couple of consistent back to back wins, it gave us really good motivation…we got a system going on right now, and that’s what has gotten us to this point,” Head Coach Robert Brede said.

Having defeated Lāhainaluna and King Kekaulike previous to last night’s game, the team’s plan for the next games is to “keep this winning streak going,” senior Manaloa Aikala said.

The KSM Warriors will take on Lāhainaluna High School for the second round next Tuesday, April 16, at Lāhainaluna at 6:15 p.m.