Girls basketball finishes season with banquet

The girls basketball Warriors of Kamehameha Schools Maui had their end of the year banquet April 14 at Keʻeaumokupāpaʻiaheahe dining hall. They ate, sang, danced, and gave out awards. Most of the night consisted of laughing and taking pictures.

Photo by courtesy of Aunty Kanoe

Photo by courtesy of Aunty Kanoe

The girls varsity basketball team had their end of the season banquet Thursday, April 13, at the Kamehameha Schools Maui dining hall, Keʻeaumokupāpaʻiaheahe.

The Warriors finished the 2016-2017 season with a 10-5 record, including the post-season. They made it to the Snapple Girls Basketball State Championships for the second straight year and just the second time in Kamehameha Schools Maui history.

With a lot of practice, they also collected their first ever state tournament victory for Kamehameha Schools Maui girls basketball in their game against Leilehua High School, and because the first state game was played here on Maui, they had the opportunity to do it in front of the KSM ʻohana.

Freshman Logan Spencer and Kealia Sjostrand along with juniors Kaylee Cambra and Shaylisse Gregory stand in line to get food.

Photo by Kimani Fernandez-Roy

The banquet began with the one important thing: food. They talked about memories from the season and made new ones as they ate.

After dinner, a highlight video recapped the girls season, and “Awʻs” and laughs were heard as the video brought up more funny and emotional memories of what happened during the season.

The high school girls also had the opportunity to celebrate their season with the new Menehune League girls basketball team. This past season was the first year for the middle school girls team. The varsity players praised the Menehune girls’ improvement during the banquet.

The girls posed with friends and family all night for group pictures. All the girls ditched the jerseys and wore elegant dresses to the occasion.

Photo by courtesy of Honey Let Padasdao

Following the highlight video, awards for the most inspirational, most improved, best offensive player, and most outstanding player were given out. The recipients included Brylee Carillo, Tatiana Soon, Kaylee Cambra, and Ashley Peralta respectively. All recipients were chosen by their teammates.

Throughout the night, the team took dozens of pictures, and there was much discussion on their goals for next season.

“I hope we do even better next season. Our goal always is to get better,” junior Shaylisse Gregory said.

To close the night, the girls had a small dance and sing session that they used to let loose.

“It was really fun, I had a great time,” junior Brylee Carillo said. It was obvious the girls were excited to all be back together again.