Girls Basketball: Peralta, Fernandez-Roy lead Warriors to victory

Kimani Fernandez-Roy and Ashley Taylor Peralta show good sportsmanship after the game. The Warriors advanced to the 2018 Snapple Girls Basketball quarterfinals on Oʻahu after defeating the Mililani Trojans 34-27 at Kaʻulaheanuiokamoku Gymnasium.

Photo by Brianne Reformina

Photo by Brianne Reformina

PUKALANI — The bleachers in Kaʻulaheanuiokamoku Gymnasium boomed with excitement as the Maui Warriors won their first state tournament game in the 2018 Snapple Girls Basketball Tournament.

Seniors Ashley Taylor Peralta and Kimani Fernandez-Roy were key players for the Warriors’ 34-27 victory over the Mililani High School Trojans with Peralta scoring 16 points and Fernandez-Roy with eight points.

The Warriors went into halftime trailing by two points.

“The first half was scary, but during the halftime, [the Warriors] got together, and we got into the right mindset to finish this game strong,” Peralta said.

In the first quarter, the Warriors and Trojans were tipping the score both ways. Peralta scored the first two points with a lay-up, and the Trojans’ Dahlis Sablay sank a three-pointer to start the game. Warrior centers Fernandez-Roy and sophomore Angel Pauole worked the Trojans’ center Cheyenne Ardona with box-outs and rebounds.

The first half ended 18-16, Trojans in the lead. Point guard Sablay scored 10 points overall with many assists to keep her team head-to-head with the Warriors.

“I think we played better than we thought we would, but I’m glad that the Warriors get a chance to make it to the championship game and make a statement for themselves,” Ardona said.

At the start of the second half, Peralta scored another 2-point shot, keeping the Trojans on their feet. Sophomore Tatiana Soon came off the bench, earning two steals and a rebound to keep the Warriors in the game. Sophomore Logan Spencer and Senior Brylee Carillo dove for the ball, resulting in several turnovers to the Warriors’ possession.

“The whole team was here to play, and that’s probably how we pushed through to get to where [the Warriors] are today and to this point,” Warriors head coach Victor Aguirre said.

In the last minute of the fourth quarter, Peralta and Fernandez-Roy shot six free-throws, leading the Warriors to a 7-point win over the Trojans.

“Overall, we played with heart and that’s all anyone could ask for, especially in a game like that, and any game,” Peralta said.

The Warriors will be going to Oʻahu Wednesday, and their quarterfinal game will be Thursday at Moanalua High School against the Maryknoll Spartans at 7 p.m.

Senior Kaylee Cambra pulls up a shot in front of Trojan center Cheyenne Ardona.

1 Comment

One Response to “Girls Basketball: Peralta, Fernandez-Roy lead Warriors to victory”

1. Kimo on January 31st, 2018 5:00 am

Great write up.

[Reply]

• Girls Basketball: Peralta, Fernandez-Roy lead Warriors to victory

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Kapolei sews up first round HHSAA match-up

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Keawekane signs to Oregon State

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Boys Basketball: Lunas topple KSM Warriors

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Boys Soccer: Bears prevail over Warriors

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Senior basketball boys take parting shots

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Boys swimming heading to states

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Kaupalolo, Lilio make big splash

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Girls Soccer: Warriors tie against Bears

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Girls Soccer: Warriors thwart Spartans

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Girls Basketball: Warriors fight for win against Nā Aliʻi