An insider’s view of Kekaulike’s production: ‘The Outsiders’

The+Greasers
The Greasers (from left to right) Levi Young, Shawn Burger, Tully O’Rilley, DylanThomas, Joshua Berman, and Kaulana Kaili. The play begins today at 7p.m. at the Kin Kekaulike cafetorium.

The King Kekaulike intermediate to advanced acting class presents The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton starting this evening, Feb. 3, 2012, at 7:00 p. m., at the Kekaulike cafetorium.

“This is an exceptional senior intermediate and advance acting class, and it’s been a pleasure working with them,” said director Mr. Chris Kepler.

I watched a full run through of the play last night at their final dress rehearsal.

The cast and crew poured their hearts out with strong, charismatic acting. Senior Dylan Thomas as Dallas took us on an incredible emotion-bending journey. Thomas was a standout and accomplished actor in the ensemble.

The special effects of the burning building were well-done and made the scene realistic. The wardrobe and set overall lent a true 50’s feel, including the leather jackets and greased hair.

This play will make you laugh and cry, and it is a great evening for both adults and children, especially pre-teens who are dealing with the very issues presented in the play.

The play is a director’s cut rendition of the famous novel The Outsiders. The plot of the story is based around the conflict between two socio-economic gangs in the 50’s, the Greasers and the Soc’s. From there, the play takes you through many exciting twists, action scenes, and heart- wrenching dramas.

It is being produced with the largest set and the most condensed rehearsal schedule that the King Kekaulike Dramatic Arts Co. has ever had, according to student assistant director Jaya Bauer.  The class has been at work on the play since the beginning of December.

The play will be running Feb. 3 – 5 and 10 – 13. On Fridays and Saturdays the play starts at 7:00 p.m. and on Sundays at 3:00 p.m. with doors opening a half hour before the show.

Tickets are for sale at the door. The cost is $8 for adults 18 and over and $4 for students.

The play’s production cost from top to bottom is $2500.

“I hope for the best profit for the school, we need an auditorium more than anything…the show is going to be great…all the cast members are actually friends, so it makes it even better,” actor Dylan Thomas said.