Band-o-Rama features four KS Maui bands

Destinee Murray sings for the KS HS Jazz Rock Band on April 9, 2013 at Keopuolani Hale.

The Kamehameha Schools Maui seventh grade, eighth grade and high school bands and jazz rock ensemble held their fourth annual Band-o-Rama on April 9, 2013, at Keōpūlani Hale. The night featured a few pieces played by each of the groups.

“Overall, they did very well,” said Mr. Siuai Laufou, Director of Bands. “I was proud of the way everyone played tonight.”

Seventh grader Bailey Honda greeted the night’s spectators by introducing each of the band groups and explaining each of the songs.

Band-o-Rama was the first concert for the seventh grade musicians. They performed:

• “Dominance: A Fanfare for Band” by Matt Conaway
  • “Procession (from Water Music)” by G.F. Handel
  • “March Across the Seas” by Bruce Pearson and Ryan Nowlin
  • “Aftershock” by Larry Clark

“I was really excited to showcase the seventh grade band,” Mr. Laufou said. “They have a lot of promise in band.”

The High School Concert Band followed up the seventh grade band. The Concert Band featured one senior, Acer Pahukoa, on the trumpet. They played:

• “Portsmouth Overture” by Robert Smith
  • “Shenandoah”  arranged by Robert Sheldon
  • “Fire Dance” by David Shaffer

Next up was the eighth grade band who played:

• “Looking Past the Shadows” by Richard Saucedo
  • “Kilauea (The Volcano’s Fury)” by Brian Balmages
  • “The Water is Wide” arranged by Julie Griffin
  • “Kamehameha (The Great Warrior)” by William Owens

Jazz Rock Ensemble, the smallest band group of the night, finished with six familiar songs:

• “Peter Gunn” by Henry Mancini, arranged by Mike Lewis
  • “Cubano” by Ray Bryant, arranged by Mike Story
  • “Set Fire to the Rain” by Adele, arranged by Mr. Siuai Laufou
  • “Earth Wind and Fire Dance Mix” arranged by Paul Murtha
  • “Summertime” by G. Gershwin and arranged by John Denton
  • “Dance With Me” by Olly Murs and arranged by Mr. Siuai Laufou

Senior James Krueger was featured in an alto saxophone solo in “Peter Gunn,” which had to be played twice because Krueger didn’t stand for his solo the first time through.

“It was so fun,” Krueger said. “It was one of the best roles I’ve had while playing band.”

In addition to Krueger’s solo, Sophomore Destinee Murray sang vocals in “Set Fire to the Rain” and “Summertime.”

“She [Destinee] is such a great singer with a beautiful voice,” Mr. Laufou said. “She has a great ear and feel for music.”

Between Concert Band and Jazz Rock Ensemble, there were only four seniors, who were honored during Band-o-Rama, including Pahukoa, Krueger, Pololū Nakanelua, and Maleko Lorenzo.

“I really appreciate their service for being with us and helping with the music program,” Mr. Laufou said.

Mr. Laufou encouraged them to continue their work in music and to hopefully take it up as more than just a hobby.

“Look always forward, in last year’s nest, there are no birds,” Krueger said. “Basically always look forward and to the future for more musical opportunities.”