Ka Leo o Nā Koa says “goodbye” to print issue for now

Photo by Destinee Murray

Daisy Draper, staff writer, works on an in-class Journalism assignment. She is one of four staff members on the Ka Leo o Nā Koa team.

By Destinee Murray, staff writer

After eight years of award-winning publications, Ka Leo o Nā Koa, the student news organization, will be discontinuing the print version of the student newspaper due to low enrollment in Journalism 2.

“People might not realize how long it takes to produce the print issue. In past years, editors have spent upwards of five hours [of layout] per printed page,” said Ms. Kye Haina, the journalism adviser. With each editor laying out 8-12 pages to produce the 32-48-page issues of the past, students logged hundreds of hours in the layout process.

Only one student, senior Jaylin Kekiwi, is enrolled in the second-year course for editors this year, and Ms. Haina says that while she might work with Kekiwi to print an issue or two in the second semester, at this point, it’s unlikely.

Journalism 2 isn’t the only class with low numbers. Journalism 1 has just three students in it.

According to Ms. Haina, their biggest challenges will be “providing the same depth [and] breadth of coverage” as in past years.

Kekiwi agreed that “the major struggle for this year’s Journalism staff will be overall coverage.”

With the print publication temporarily shelved, the staff is currently shooting toward improving the news site by giving it a new look and adding features.

The new Sports Center, for instance, has a variety of interactive features to it, such as an athletic schedule, sports rosters, a dedicated sports picture carousel, and a separate page for each sport. One can also have easy, fast access to scores with the breaking score box on the home page.

Readers can access athlete profiles by clicking on the word “profile” when it appears next to an athlete’s name on any sports roster. The athletes’ names are also linked to stories and photos in which they are mentioned.

To make sure that all links work, Ka Leo o Nā Koa has adopted a new policy of using legal student names on the Web, as opposed to their preferred nicknames as in the past.

Ms. Haina said that another goal is to increase the quality and quantity of live stream offerings. Last year was the first time Ka Leo o Nā Koa tried streaming of live events with mixed results. The broadcasts of ʻAha Mele and commencement were two streaming highlights.

Kekiwi plans to continue to offer the high quality work that the staff has always striven for.

“We have talented photographers to draw people into our Web site, especially for the sports events,” she said.

It won’t be easy to bring the people the news.

“We all have to carry our own weight,” Kekiwi said, “but I think that this year’s staff can handle it…I’m definitely looking forward to it.”