Nā Koa Magazine added to Ka Leo o Nā Koa

The cover of Nā Koa Magazine, Ka Leo o Nā Koaʻs first digital feature magazine. The first issue features articles about the Maui surfing scene, including an in-depth feature on national champion Imaikalani DeVault.

By , staff

Senior Maile Sur has created Kamehameha Mauiʻs first-ever digital magazine, Nā Koa, as her Hō’ike Nui product. The magazine launched today on ISSUU.com, but with a universal link, it can be uploaded to any mobile device.

Each issue will be focused on one aspect of Maui students’ interests, and the first issue is all about surfing, surfing, and more surfing.

Yay! Our first ever issue of Nā Koa digital magazine was released 8/29. What do you think?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Senior classmate and professional surfer, Imaikalani DeVault, is the main focus of the issue; however, there are stories on other local surfers, groms, and Kazuma Surfboards Hawai’i, a Maui surfboard company.

After months of hard work, sheʻs “excited to see [the magazine] finally published.”

Although the magazine was created as a senior product, Ms. Kye Haina, Ka Leo o Nā Koa adviser, said that the journalism staff will continue to write, photograph, and publish the digital magazine quarterly, between print issues of the student newspaper. If all goes well, this third product will continue to be part of our offerings, which already include this website and the print newspaper.

The next step?

Turning Nā Koa into an app of its own.

Keep checking back for updates on the app to house all issues of Nā Koa Magazine. Sur hopes it will be ready for the launch of the winter issue.