Movie review: Thor, it’s hammer time

Asgard has always been peaceful under the rule of King Odin (Anthony Hopkins); however, this peace is disturbed by his eldest son Thor, the god of thunder (Chris Hemsworth) who is next in line for the throne.

After Thor’s attempts to begin a war with the realm of Yodenheim and the evil Frost Giants, his father exiles him to Earth hoping that he will learn from the mistakes caused by his arrogance and recklessness.

Thor’s visual effects were so amazing they’re comparable to James Cameron’s Avatar. Asgard looked realistically supernatural. It was easy to believe that Asgard was home to the gods. Although, be forewarned that even though seeing it in 3D may make some of the visual graphics more vivid, watching it in 3D (like I did) is completely unnecessary.

Also, although the bifrost, the golden goblets, and the godly-speeches were creative components needed in the movie, Thor could not have been any more epic without the costuming. The costuming was another reason why the characters looked like not only warriors, but gods.

As for the casting, Chris Hemsworth as Thor was a wonderful choice not only because of his manly physique, but his deep, masculine voice, which by the way, has a strong Australian accent.

Natalie Portman did well as the damsel in distress, Jane Foster. Of course, what is a movie these days without some romance involved?

Some parts of the movie were a bit sappy, and if sap’s not for you, don’t worry. You won’t be disappointed in the end.

Tom Hiddleston as Thor’s envious, younger brother and god of mischief Loki, was a perfect fit. Like the typical mad scientist, he has incredibly pale skin and greasy black hair. Loki’s jealousy is blatantly evident; still, you cannot help but pity Thor’s younger brother simply because he is only a poor victim of circumstance. These circumstances eventually lead him to become the movie’s villain.

Thor is a perfect movie to watch on a first date. There’s a little something for the boys: awesome fight scenes between Norse gods and Frost Giants. And a little something for the girls: some romance that isn’t too overwhelmingly lovey dovey.

This movie isn’t at all life changing. It’s another typical story of learning and growing up. However, I encourage you to see it to enjoy the graphics and to be enticed by a realm where there is no difference between magic and science.

Thor is now playing at the Maui Mall Megaplex Cinema in Kahului and the Wharf Cinema in Lahaina.