Girls volleyball defeats Spartans in 3

Varsity Girls Volleyball v. Seabury Hall, Game 3, point 25, 9/2/2011

The D1 KSM girls volleyball team beat the D2 Seabury Hall Spartans last night in a practice match. The Warriors won 25-15, 25-18, 25-21.

KSM played the first set with ease. Their hitting, serving, and communication- which they had trouble with at some points in the pre-season tournament- were all on point. They easily made their way to a 21-13 lead and won the set.

Contributing to the wins all night were setter Bobbi Kalama’s serves, which were more consistent than in the pre-season Maui Volleyball Invitational. “To improve on my serves, I worked on my toss and my contact with the ball,” she said.

In the second set, blocking was a key factor in the Warriors’ victory. The Spartans had a hard time making shots from the outside that could get past  juniors Sheylin Patao and Leimana Kane.

The Spartans did, however, put up a good fight at the beginning of the third set. The score was up and up all the way until 15-15. KSM struggled with both serving and serve receiving, which kept the score close. They eventually corrected this and won the set with a kill by junior Bobbi Kalama at 24-21.

Though Head Coach Bala Spencer had originally wanted the teams to play all five sets “to get everybody in and get more playing time,” the game ended after the three Warrior victories.

Earlier in the evening, the junior varsity team was defeated by the Spartans in two sets, 21-18 and 21-15, but with time before the varsity event, the teams played a third match. The JV Maui Warriors also lost the third set 15-7.