Toba becomes front runner for KSM cross country

Senior Jared Toba beats the pack to place 16th overall in the boys race at the MIL cross country meet on Saturday, September 3, 2011 at Seabury Hall as he crosses the finish line.

Jared Toba is congratulated at the finish line by Headmaster Delima at the cross country meet at Seabury Hall, September 3, 2011.

MAKAWAO – Senior boys runner and team co-captain Jared Toba placed 16th overall in the Maui Interscholastic League cross country meet #2, Saturday, September 3, 2011, at Seabury Hall. He was the first of his team to cross the finish line.

“I felt the weather was right, and we did a lot of hills at practice this week so that helped us to be successful,” Toba said.

Clocking in at about 19 minutes and 40 seconds, he improved since last week’s meet, in which he placed 23rd with a time of 20 minutes and 30 seconds.

“I think I was more mentally ready, and I paced myself during the first lap so that paved the way for the second and third laps,” Toba said.

This season marks Toba’s fourth year running cross country with KSM.

“I started my freshman year and really enjoyed it, and I found success in the sport, so I continued to do it. I also really love my teammates. I’ve never been as close with a team as I am with my cross country ‘ohana,” Toba said.

According to his coach, KSM 8th grade science teacher Mr. Jon Svenson, Toba has improved steadily over time. “He’s one of the captains, and he’s an excellent leader. He works hard at practice. He takes practice seriously,” Mr. Svenson said.

The other team co-captains are seniors Naomi Holokai, Chris Kim and Erika Kekiwi.

“He’s not only a good teammate but he’s a good captain. He motivates us to be like him. He’s a good role model,” sophomore boys runner Tevin Jon Tam said.

Although he does not plan to continue running cross country in college, he said he plans to continue running outside of competition because “It’s a good way to stay in shape and I enjoy it.”

In today’s meet, the KSM boys team placed 3rd after Maui High School and Seabury Hall.

The girls team placed 4th following Seabury Hall, Baldwin High School and Maui High School.

Sophomore and first year runner Kiana Sniffen placed 15th overall in the girls race with a time of 23 minutes and 12 seconds.

“She’ll be top ten by the end of the season,” Mr. Svenson said.

KSM’s cross country team will be taking part in the Lahainaluna Invitational, which will take place at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, September 17, 2011.