Young finishes girls volleyball senior night with kill

Senior Uluwehi Young taps the ball over the net at the Kamehameha Maui girls volleyball team’s last game of a perfect winning season. The sole senior on her team, Young started and played most of the night and was honored by her teammates, friends and family at the end of her senior night.

Lone senior Uluwehi Young celebrated her senior night with a 25-19, 25-21 and 25-22 victory over King Kekaulike last night at Kaʻulaheanuiokamoku Gymnasium.

Young has been playing volleyball since she was in the fifth grade, but was cut from the varsity team last year. She also played club volleyball for the first time after her sophomore year.

“I decided to come back because I felt like there should be a senior on the team, and it didn’t hurt to try,” she said.

Last night became “her night” and she started in the first two sets. Her kills and aces helped the team get ahead quickly.

She did not play in the third set until the score was 24-22. The crowd chanted, “We want Ulu,” hoping to see her play one last time on her home court. When the fans were at their loudest, Head Coach Bala Spencer brought Young in for what would be the last play of the night, a kill by her against Na Ali’i.

Young said her original plan was to play volleyball in college, but she has instead made softball her main focus.

She spends most of her free time surfing and playing music. She is the president of the KSM Surf Club and can play the ʻukulele, guitar, drums, and piano.