Kapolei sews up first round HHSAA match-up

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kapolei junior Ja'shon Carter guards Junior Kamalu Segundo at the Snapple Boys Basketball Championships, Monday, Feb. 12, at Kaʻulaheanuiokamoku Gym. The Hurricanes won and advanced in the tournament, ending the Maui Warriors' journey to the state finals in the first round.

Photo by Analicia Kapua

Photo by Analicia Kapua

Photo by Analicia Kapua

By Analicia Kapua, staffer

The Kapolei Hurricanes beat the Kamehameha Maui Warriors 49-34 at Kaʻulaheanuiokamoku Gym in the first round of the  Snapple Boys Basketball Championships, yesterday, Feb. 12,. This was the first time since 2010 that the Warriors played in the Hawai’i High School Athletics Association tournament.

Within the first quarter of the game junior Kamaluokeakua “Kamalu” Segundo scored all 9 points for the Warriors, but Kapolei held an 8-point lead ending the first quarter 15-9.

By the first half, Kapolei’s lead had dropped to 3 points, and the score was 23-20 at halftime. Four of the 3-pointers for the Warriors’ team were shot by Segundo and senior Austin Peters. The team and stands full of fans were optimistic as the boys went to the locker rooms.

“The team’s chemistry was way better than last year,” Segundo said. “We moved the ball and found more open shots. Everyone improved [from last year].”

In the third quarter, the Warriors fell behind with Kapolei leading 36-27. Senior Kahai Bustillos’ shooting in the third quarter helped bring the Warrior score up.

In the last quarter of the game, Segundo was taken out by Coach Angus Peters III because he was close to fouling out, with three fouls against the Hurricanes.

The Kapolei kept control in the last half and finished the game 49-34. Even so, the intense action of the game put the pressure on the Hurricanes.

“I wasn’t happy with our effort. Kamehameha came out and out hustled us, they out rebounded us. Of course we had a bigger team but Kamehameha played with more heart than what we had tonight,” Kapolei’s head coach Gary Ellison said. “We don’t focus on individuals. Everything is team, team, team,”

The Hurricanes headed back to O’ahu to play Maryknoll High School in the quarterfinals Wednesday, Feb. 14. For the Warriors, their season ends here with 6 wins throughout the MIL season.