Freshmen party like Gatsby

Ali Tavares and Madeline Sylvester laugh with one another while dancing. The freshmen had a 'great' night, Feb. 10, partying like they did in

Ali Tavares and Madeline Sylvester laugh with one another while dancing. The freshmen had a 'great' night, Feb. 10, partying like they did in "The Great Gatsby," the theme for the night.

Photo by Aaron Veincent

Photo by Aaron Veincent

Ka Papa ʻIliahi partied like Gatsby at their ‘Great Gatsby’ themed freshman banquet in Keʻeaumokupāpaʻiaheahe Dining Hall Saturday night, Feb. 10, 2018.

The theme of the night kept to the 1920’s style and was chosen by the freshman student government.

It's banquet season! Are you ready?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

“We thought of what would be ‘classy’ but still could have a modern and fun twist to it,” freshman class president Joshua

Worth said. “We also wanted to bring something new and fresh to the table, something that isn’t normally done.”

Keʻeaumokupāpaʻiaheahe was decorated with glimmering lights hanging from the ceiling cascading upon the mirrored table centerpieces.

Each table had their own golden set-up with candles, small sparkling globes, and beaded necklaces for the Gatsby glamour.

One of the biggest highlights of the night was the food. Poi by the Pound catered the night sending their traditional Hawaiian food menu.

The group also had a classy dessert table filled with numerous dessert arrangements made by parents. A few of these treats included strawberry cheesecakes, macaroons, cake pops, and even gummy burgers.

Haumāna had an elegant dinner and enjoyed entertainment from Ace Beats as the DJ, who played older music to match the night’s ’20s setting.

After the haumāna satisfied their cravings, the real party started with the dance.

The DJ provided a mixture of songs from today’s top hits, throwbacks, and even some oldies that kept the class dancing until the night came to an end.

Ka Papa ʻIliahi has their first banquet living up to Gatsbys famous saying, "a little party never hurt nobody!"

Photo by Aaron Veincent
Ka Papa ʻIliahi has their first banquet living up to Gatsby’s famous saying, “a little party never hurt nobody!”

“Now that the night’s over, I am happy with how everything turned out,” Worth said. “From the dinner and desserts to the dance; I think everything went really well.”

The night began the banquet season with the sophomore banquet and senior ball coming up within the next two weekends.

“I think the freshmen had a great banquet,” student activities coordinator Kumu Taylissa Lehano said. “They seemed to have a lot of fun and started our banquet season off on the right foot.”

Unlike the other banquets, the freshman banquet is open to the class members only.

“The student government really enjoys bringing out Ka Papa ʻIliahi to have a good time, and we hope for more successful events in the future,” Worth said.

The next two banquets coming up will be hosting twice as many haumāna.

“My hopes for the upcoming events are that students will follow the rules and that the officers who worked hard on these events are proud of their work and happy with the outcome of each event,” Kumu Lehano said.

The sophomore banquet will be held Feb. 17, and the senior ball will be on the 24th.

Make sure to check back for complete coverage of both events!

Rylan-Zane Cajigal-Evans dances his night away.