Eighth Annual Ho’olaule’a satisfies Maui Community

Families enjoyed a day full of activities for all ages at the 8th annual Kamehameha Schools Maui Ho ‘olaule ‘a, April 14, 2012, at the high school campus. Hundreds turned out, and the Maui sun made the day warm and perfect for a shave ice or tapioca drink from the Sweet Shoppe, treats offered at the food booths.

“This is the only K-12 event for everyone to come and work together. It’s really great,” said Ms. Lokelani Patrick, parent-community coordinator.

The all-day musical entertainment included Mr. Rama Camarillo’s middle school ‘Ukulele class, Kumu Kalei Aarona-Lorenzo’s Hawaiian Ensemble, junior James Krueger’s band, Kumu Henohea Kane’s Hula class, and the headlines, Hapa. The main stage entertainment ended with routines by the Hawai’i All-Stars cheerleaders.

Visitors took advantage of the abundance of activities around the campus.

Coach Bala Spenser coordinated a grass volleyball tournament on the practice field.

The Hawaiian language class demonstrated different Hawaiian activities, such as pounding kalo into poi, kapa making and kakau, or Hawaiian tattoo, printing.

“Being with friends and watching everyone play volleyball was fun. I enjoyed doing cultural things like pounding poi and making kapa and tattoos,” senior Nazareth Thibodeaux said.

Children showed their creative techniques in Kumu U’i Naho’olewa’s class room by painting ceramics or getting their faces painted by sophomore class volunteers.

Every year, visitors anticipate the ‘ono food. This year’s Sweet Shoppe, run by the elementary division, was a big hit for those with a sweet tooth. Food offerings included Hawaiian plates, pizza, chili, shrimp plates, nachos, burgers, hulihuli chicken, spaghetti and caesar salad, acai granola cups and shave ice.

There were jumping castles and game booths where children could win tickets to trade for prizes.

The seniors of Kumu U’i’s Advanced Art class displayed their final art pieces at the Senior Art Show, and other student’s works were displayed in Mrs. Abe’s class room.

“Of course I got to say the Art Show [was fun] since I was a part of it this year. And I’m happy that there’s a good crowd this year,” senior Marcus Ferreira said.

The craft and other vendor booths were located in the Paki and Konia courtyard, where people could shop for hand-made jewelry, quilts, leis, shirts, soaps, plants and more.

The Alumni Association of Kamehameha Schools Maui held the 2012 Blue and White Elephant Rummage Sale. Proceeds went to the alumni association scholarship fund for KS Maui.

The “What the Health?” section included booths from the Health Occupations Students of America club, Nā Pua No’eau, the Meth Project of Hawai’i, junior Jaelyn Takiguchi’s obesity education booth, junior Tehani Kama’s kalo booth, and Kaleihōku Kubota’s booth about sun protection.

The class of 2014 was in charge of this year’s Ho’olaule’a. Some of the sophomore volunteers acted as police as they gathered “criminals” and put them in “jail.” It was all in good fun for this first-time activity where attendees could pay to send their friends to the jail for a certain amount of time. The more script they paid, the longer the stay in jail. It all went to a good cause: raising money.

“The teen zone was new this year and was a hit. That went over well,” Ms. Patrick said.

Junior Lindsay Watson was in charge of this year’s Keaka Kamali’i as her senior project. It featured a short, comedy skit for the children to watch. The performers were seniors Kalani Ruidas, Hoku Krueger and Rachel Bega and juniors Lindsay Watson, Ka’ili Mossman, Riley Shiraishi and Amber Kama.

It took many helping hands and long hours to make the Ho’olaule’a happen. Except for a few complications, such as running out of food and certain items for sale and sound problems for the entertainment area the event went smoothly, and there were smiles to be seen everywhere.

From Ka Leo o Nā Koa: Watch for our May 4 issue, where we’ll be highlight four seniors who had projects at the Hoʻolauleʻa.