Club Sign-Up Day attracts interest

Club+Sign-Up+Day+attracts+interest+

Club Sign-Up Day drew a crowd of students as club members advertised, hoping  their classmates would sign up for their clubs today. Many are planning to start the year off by organizing new community service projects and activities.

Senior Corey Tanaka, president of the Ocean Club is excited to do community service to help the ocean. “The ocean covers 75% of the earth, and it’s up to us to take care of it,” he said. His goal this year is to do more inland work “because everything that happens on the land affects the ocean.”

The Art Club was another popular group today at lunch. Senior Ciara Kahahane, Art Club historian, said, “I joined Art Club back in the day in 9th grade because I like…the club activities they have.” This year, she is planning their first community service project, painting a mural for the Maui Humane Society.

Many students spent their lunch period signing up. “Today has been a pretty good success. Now all we have to worry about is who will show up to the meetings,” said Tanaka.

Students seemed to enjoy the opportunity to sign up for clubs.

Senior Alika Sanchez was happy to be getting involved. “I’m excited to be joining clubs because it’s a great way to meet new people and try new things,” he said.

For the freshmen, this was their first taste of Club Sign-Up Day. Freshman Keone Frampton said he signed up for Teens Under Construction and Health Occupations Students of America with his classmates. “This is pretty cool. I can’t think of anything else to describe it–it’s pretty cool,” he said.