Class of 2013 basks in ‘Golden Lights’ at senior ball

This+years++theme+revolved+around+the+candlelit+decorations+at+the+2013+Senior+ball+on+February+23+in+the+Ke%CA%BBeaumokupapaiaheahe+Dining+Hall.+
This years theme revolved around the candlelit decorations at the 2013 Senior ball on February 23 in the Keʻeaumokupapaiaheahe Dining Hall.

In the light of candles the senior class enjoyed their senior ball last night in Keʻeaumokupāpāʻiaheahe dining hall.

Previously, the ball was to be held in a tent on the field below Kahekili gym, but was moved indoors due to poor weather.

“It was pretty stressful, trying to get a hold of the food and DJs to change the venue,” said Mr. Greg Lopez, senior class adviser.

The night’s theme was Golden Light. The hall was decorated simply with tea light candles, twigs and white roses.  Students sat in the golden glow of the candles.

“The theme was made to revolve around the decorations. We wanted something simple so that students didn’t feel that they needed to dress in the theme,” senior Riley Shiraishi.

The night started with Stella Blues’ Neptune Buffet. The entrees included crab stuffed fresh fish with ginger cream sauce, sautéed shrimp and scallop skewers with a garlic lemon grass butter.  There was a variety of pies for dessert.

“I really loved the food. It was a lot better than the food at the other banquets. The desert was really good, too,” senior Kanoelehua Bulusan said.

After the dinner, DJ JC AND Jay Jay of Next Level Entertainment got the party started on the dance floor. Students danced to songs of nearly every era.

Attendance was smaller than planned, with somewhere around fifteen students being dis-invited after racking up an unexcused absence this past Tuesday, February 19. Senior absences had been higher than usual on that day, a day rumored to be “Senior Ditch Day.”

“For a small party, we had a lot of fun. I was pretty happy with it, even though it rained, and we needed to change the venue, everything went through pretty easily,” Senior Class President Hulali Brown said.

The next class event will be Senior Bash. The class officers are hoping to make up for last-minute venue change by doing something special for the Bash. According to Mr. Lopez, they are hoping to start at 5:00 to have a sunset barbecue and a band.

“I just want to thank them for being such a great class. They are the ones who did most of the work. I guide them, and they do all of the leg work,” Mr. Lopez said.