‘Fireworks’ fly at Winter Ball 2013

Fireworks were flying, literally, at the Kamehameha Schools Maui Winter Ball in Keʻeaumokupāpāiaheahe Dining Hall on January 26, 2013.

The night’s theme, Fireworks, was inspired by the New Year. The dining hall was decorated accordingly with decorative fireworks on the ceiling and tables to give a sense of a starry sky.

“It felt like the traditional winter wonderland theme was getting old, so we wanted to try something new,” ASKSM Vice-President James Krueger said.

Students started checking in at 5:30 p.m. Soon after, Filipino cuisine catered by Paradise Market was served. These foods included noodles, rice, vegetables, chicken and beef. Dessert was a spread of various cookies, donuts, and cake.

DJ Blast, part of the Chill Town crew, started the party, and soon after that students danced the night away. Almost every student stepped on the dance floor to dance to an array of popular music.

During the ball students were able to dress up in funky costumes and take a picture in the Action Photos of Hawaiʻi photo booth.

Student Activities Coordinator Naomi Ashman said, “I think people enjoyed themselves and had a great time”

About 100 of Kamehameha Maui’s students were in attendance, but as many of them said it would have been more fun of there were more students there. Overall, the students had a good time.

“It was fun and entertaining. I loved it because I got to be with my friends and have a good time,” senior Aaron Watson said.

“The food was good, the music was good; it was overall a great winter ball,” senior Mikela Rindlisbacher said.