Warriors take second run at Champion of School Spirit

Student body president Kaleihoku Kubota pumps up the crowd at the Champion of School Spirit assembly.

The first day of KS Maui’s Spring Spirit Week was a success on February 11 at the high school campus. The Warriors showed their pride and strength as they dressed in blue, white and silver. Students were given noisemakers and megaphones to show their spirit as they entered the high school gym.

Their Warrior spirit was not just confined to the Kamehameha campus, but also part of a county-wide competition sponsored by “Hawai’i’s hit music station, Wild 105.5” and ChillTown Productions. Students, faculty and staff cheered, danced, and yelled with the hopes of winning the Champion of School Spirit Award.

This competition is  hosted and judged by ChillTown’s own Hev B Wyld, DJ Decka, and DJ Blast and is exclusive to Maui County high schools. These schools include Baldwin, Hana, Maui, Moloka’i, and St. Anthony High Schools and Seabury Hall.

Schools earn points based on their performance of different challenges. In Cheerleader Represent, cheerleaders perform their best routine. At Kamehameha Maui, the cheerleaders were unable to perform a stunt routine without a coach to surpervise, so they led the crowd in “Wave with Us” and “Rowdy.”

In Mascot Macarena, at least one student represented each grade level to dance the Macarena in full gear.

In Alama Mater Remix, students and faculty were to perform a remix of the school’s alma mater, but Wyld announced that out of respect for the school song, the Warriors could sing the standard version.

In Teacher Roll Call, the teachers lined up to be counted. Each teacher was worth five points, with vice-principal, Mr. Leo Delatori worth 25 points, and the high school co-principals, Mr. Lance Cagasan and Ms. Jay-R Kaawa worth 50 points each. After the roll call, teachers danced spontaneously with many going gangnam style, and earned double points for the school.

For the Flyer Scavenger Hunt, student activities coordinator Mrs. Naomi Ashman, with the help of ASKSM president Kaleihoku Kubota, ran around the campus and the island snapping pictures of posted Championship flyers. They hit every location and earned the maximum points in this category.

Last year, The Kamehameha Warriors, with 2,243 points, placed second to the Baldwin Bears, w ho had 2,268 points, besting KSM by only 25 points.

“Today was really great! I loved all the enthusiasm and spirit. I’m really hopeful that we will take the victory of (the) Champion of School Spirit,” Kubota said.

Did the school do enough? The winner will be declared on Wild 105.5 FM on April 5, 2013.

The other spirit days for the week include a Sports Day on Tuesday, Wacky Wednesday, and Valentine’s Day on Thursday.