Students celebrate near-end of school year with dance

Junior Kapahanau Palakiko and other students dance to the Electric Slide at the Legacy Jubilee on May 12. This dance was to celebrate 125 years of Kamehameha Schools.

Kamehameha Schools Maui held its first annual Legacy Jubilee on Friday at Keʻeaumokupāpaʻiʻaheʻahe Dining Hall. This was an end-of-the-year dance to celebrate the school’s 125th anniversary. Almost the entire room was lit only by lights on the tables and lasers on the ceilings. Gold and black balloons, feathers, presents, and other centerpieces decorated the tables.

The cost of admission was two canned goods, which would be donated to the Maui Food Bank. Dinner was cold cut sandwiches, grapes, a vegetable platter, and assorted chips. There was also a candy bar in a “125” structure.

ASKSM President Christopher Kim started the night by explaining why they had this dance. “This is to give thanks to Pauahi and all that she has given us over the past 125 years. We are here to celebrate the end of another year here,” Kim said.

After dinner was served, Next Level Entertainment started the party and the dancing began. Shortly after the lights were turned off and the music turned loud, teachers passed out glow sticks for the students to wear. The students instantly formed a dance circle and brave students got to show off their dancing skills to their peers.

The dance lasted for about three hours and they danced to everything from 80’s music to dubstep.

“I like these dances because everyone just kind of lets loose,” senior Piʻikea Karlen said.