Battle of Bands kicks off ’12 Homecoming Week

Homecoming week started off with a bang as the Battle of the Band members sang, boogied and jammed in front of the Kamehameha Schools Maui high schoolers dressed for Travel Day and judges in Keōpuolani Hale on Monday, October 15.

The performers shook off their nerves and belted it out in a contest that could be the deciding factor in where they place in the overall homecoming results, which will be announced during halftime of the homecoming football game on Friday.

“It was a fun experience. I wasn’t nervous at first, but when I got on the stage, I started getting butterflies, and the mood changed. But I knew my band was there to back me up so I wasn’t that worried,” said freshman Ikaika Renaud, ‘ukulele player.

The audience held their breath as each class began the first notes of their songs. After that, Keōpuolani Hale was bumping with music as the audience cheered the performers on.

“My favorite part was walking on stage and hearing the roar of the crowd when those curtains opened,” said triangle player and junior Matt Paschoal.

The performers were pumped by the cheers of their classmates. Some of the audience members even began to cry as they swayed their arms in the air to the music. Their love for the Battle of the Band members apparant.

With practice time limited during school hours, some classes took time out of their weekends to prepare, and participants’ feelings were mixed as the curtains closed.

“We were all satisfied with the performance when we were done. And we were happy because it was an improvement from last year’s performance,” said bass player and sophomore Shai Ibara.

Here’s a list of the songs that were performed:

Freshmen

Love Like This by Natasha Bedingfield featuring Sean Kingston
No Other Love by Common Kings
No One by Alicia Keys
Price Tag by Jessie J featuring B.o.B.

Sophomores

My Girl by The Temptations
One More Night by Maroon 5
Good Time by Owl City and Carly Rae Jepsen

Juniors

Both Of Us by B.o.B featuring Taylor Swift
Stand By Me by Ben E King

Seniors

Polynesian People by Norm
All Around The World by Next Generation
Favorite Song by Colbie Caillat featuring Common

The senior class performed Boyz II Men’s End Of The Road for their hana hou performance.

“I loved working with my classmates; I definitely had fun doing that. And I liked having the opportunity to share something that I love doing with everyone!” senior singer Aaron Watson said.

“Rated ‘E’ for Everyone” Homecoming Week continues through Friday, leading up to the homecoming game on Friday night.