I’m working on it: How to make friends

This is for all you seniors who are starting to think about being at college and for all the new freshmen and students who are dreading the same thing that I am as you freak out over this question: “How do I make new friends?”

Lately, I’ve been worrying a bit over how to make friends. I’ve been with the same class since the sixth grade. I’ve never had to go to another school and start all over. So, in order to put my ridiculous worries to rest I have composed this column.

Now, according to what I learned in English, I need to prove to you that I’m a credible source and that you can trust me with your precious and fragile social life. I assure you, I have been doing extensive research (Googled ‘how to make friends’) and know exactly what I am talking about.

After looking through the first 3 of my 282,000,000 results on Google, I have compiled these simple instructions. They go as follows:

First: Find people who like the same things you like. This could be playing football, reading a book, singing a song, or wearing purple boots–all you need to do is find them.

Second: Make eye contact. This is crucial. You can also wave, walk slowly towards them, or smile and call out “Hey!”  If you skip this step, number three will be very difficult.

Third: Go over and talk. This is probably one of the more difficult parts of making new friends. I call it “The Awkward Conversation Moment.” I find that just admitting that this is kind of awkward tends to lighten the mood a little. This conversation can be about anything. For beginners, I suggest the weather.

Fourth: Make plans to hang out. A crucial part of being friends is that you actually spend time with them. Offer to do anything: go to the movies, rollerblading, mountain hiking, kayaking, swimming, anything! Make sure you get their contact information as this is an important element in the hanging out process.

Fifth: Accept invitations as much as possible and be reliable. You need to be dedicated to spending time with friends. No one wants to hang out with a flake or a home body. Make sure you consistently hang out with your new mates! I think that a Girl’s Night Out or a Boy’s Night are simple strategies to hang out with friends.

Well, there you have it! Now, if you are ever stranded on an island, starting at a new school, or even stuck in a new country, all you have to do is refer back to this column and rest assured, you’ll have a couple of buddies in no time.

Remember though, Friends are about QUALITY not QUANTITY. So don’t go off and hang out with a big group of people who–between you and me–aren’t the best sorts. A couple of good friends are better than a passel of bad ones.

I don’t know about you, but I feel like a weight has been lifted off my chest. Nothing like a good column to put your worries to rest.