I’m working on it: Talking turkey, giving thanks

Can you smell that? It smells like Turkey! Thanksgiving will be here in approximately 24 hours. In just that short amount of time I can eat until I pop and then go shopping! It is every girl’s dream come true!

This is actually one of my favorite times of the year! I feel like this is when holiday spirit really begins to kick in. In November, we are all presented with the opportunity to bond over turkey…I mean family…and express our thanks for stuffing…er…everything we’re grateful for.

Then, after we have stuffed ourselves and consumed so much food we’re comatose, we can practice our Christmas carols and start wearing red and green.

This year, I have a lot to be grateful for, more than usual it seems. Usually, I name all the overused things like family, a house, food, clothes, friends, etc. Those are all important but I feel like I have more…original things to be thankful for.

This year, I am thankful for all the mistakes I have made so far. Without those mistakes, I wouldn’t be able to learn what not to do and achieve all the goals I set out to accomplish.

I used to have a problem (and maybe still do) with perfectionism. I strive for perfect and sometimes settle for nothing less. Making mistakes has taught me that there is a 100% chance that I will stumble and mess up along the way, so I had better accept it and work through it.

I am also thankful for every tear I have ever shed. Tears are actually good–they release endorphins and make you feel better. But, the scientific reasons aside, I’m thankful for all those tears because they taught me that it’s okay to cry and let some emotion spill. Sometimes I feel like all I do is bottle up those emotions and keep them locked away from the world.

I am thankful for uncomfortable and awkward topics and conversations. I’ve learned that a lot of the important stuff that you need to know isn’t always going to be the easiest thing to swallow. Sometimes, you have to bear the uncomfortable, awkward, scary and maybe even gross in order to become more knowledgeable about the world we live in today.

If you can’t handle a hard conversation, how are you going to handle life? (Now that’s going to be hard.)

I am thankful for every apology I have had to make. I’ve learned something about apologies. When you apologize, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you are wrong. When you apologize, it means that you value your relationship more than being “right.” Every apology I have made has brought me closer to achieving Ghandi-status humility.

The last thankful I will share with you is this: I am thankful for all of you! Your comments on articles get the ol’ wheels turning in my head and fuel ideas for what my next column will be about. I am also thankful for your support in all the articles I write (remember that stint I went through where it was a series of childhood memoirs?) You guys are great listensers, and I appreciate the time you take to read what I have to say. Thank you!

I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving and hope none of you get trampled by rampaging consumers at Black Friday sales! Have a good weekend, and enjoy the time off from school. I will see you Monday…quite possibly ten pounds heavier!