I’m working on it: Resolving 2012

Dear Loyal Readers,

I am writing to you for the last time in the year 2011. I am also writing to you for the last time in the first semester of the 2011-2012 school year. As our time draws to an end, I am reminded of all the great things we experienced together this school year.

We’ve (you and I, dear reader) have been through some rough spots (like the walk down memory lane that wouldn’t end) and some high points (remember the Hawaiian Pride column that unlocked Mr. Mossman’s comment voice and became the point of weeks of debate?)

Overall, I must say it has been a good year–a year full of growth, lessons learned, and experiences…experienced.

The days seem to be slipping by at light speed as the semester draws near and Christmas break approaches. They were probably lost somewhere between studying for finals, applying to colleges and my newest waste-time Web site. But alas, those are topics for other columns.

Soon I will be leaving you for a state that is significantly larger than our little island: California!

I am going to see REAL snow! None of that fake artificial stuff, or some shaved ice from the freezer- real fluffy, white, soft snow! This Christmas break I shall be heading up North to Tahoe to experience my very first snow day! I am filled with oodles of excitement. It is going to be my first white Christmas! This is what I have dreamed about since I was a child.

Despite the fact that I don’t always like the cold, I do love winter. I love ice skating, I love hot chocolate and the smell of Christmas trees, and I am quite confident that I will like snow! How does someone not like snow during the Christmas season? Impossible!

Don’t worry though, I’ll take some to bring back home and share with all of you. This way you can revel in it with me. That’s gonna work, right?

So, as this year comes to a close, it is time to start making resolutions for 2012! That is, if the world doesn’t end…

Personally, I think that New Year’s Resolutions are silly. Why resolve to do these important life-changing activities when the year ends when you already had an entire year to do them in?

I think that we should be making resolutions every day, but, for tradition’s sake I will partake in this age-old tradition.

Here it goes…

Amanda’s Resolutions for the Year 2012

1. Apply for at least 5 scholarships.

I need to find a detective or something, I can’t seem to find any scholarships that I meet the criteria for! C’mon benefactors–help a writer out! This year though, I resolve to turn over every stone and every leaf and camp out in the Counseling Center until I have applied for at least 5 scholarships.

2. Make a meal for my family without a microwave or toaster.

Heh heh heh… Not the world’s finest cook here. My skills extend to scrambled eggs and grilled cheese. Impressive no? Everything else I eat is either a) prepared by someone else or b) heated up in the microwave or toaster. This year though, that is all going to change! I am going to COOK! Put 911 in speed dial, guys, this might get messy

3. Get a piece of writing published outside of school.

As far as I can tell, my future consists of writing. This year, I want to step up my game and get something published outside of school. Maybe the get something in The Maui News, maybe win a contest with an essay. I want to break the school-only bubble I’ve created and extend my horizons. It’s going to happen. I resolve it.

Don’t forget to make your resolutions this coming year (and they don’t have to be on New Year’s Day). If you need some, try these: focus in school, and work to make each day better than yesterday!

Have a safe holiday, Warriors! I’ll see you with my snow soon!

Mele Kalikimaka,
Amanda