A little Lee-way: One step closer to graduation

“The journey is the reward.” -Chinese Proverb

As you all know, or may not know, senior presentations were yesterday. The final closure to our Hō’ike Nui came and went in a flash. Now the senior class is just one step closer to walking and getting our high school diplomas.

While I was getting ready yesterday morning, I thought to myself, “Well, this is it. It’s time to show the panel all of the knowledge and experiences I’ve gained throughout this Hō’ike Nui journey.”

That’s a pretty nerve-wracking thought, right? After a few panic attacks and deep breathing techniques, I managed to calm myself down and gain confidence for my presentation since it’s something that I’ve been researching and working with for the past year.

I told myself to just breathe, think positive and imagine how completing the presentation is getting me and the rest of the senior class closer to graduating.

This is one small chapter for us that we have to be willing to close so we can move on to bigger and better things that’s held in our futures. How exciting, but absolutely terrifying at the same time!

Walking into the Charles Reed Bishop Learning Center and seeing all of my classmates dressed in business attire was a great sight. They all looked like young adults ready to take on whatever came their way.

Although more than half of the class looked as terrified and nervous as I did, we managed to stay composed, keep smiles on our faces and keep our energy up.

I actually experienced something that I never have before with our class. I saw students encouraging each other before the presentations and they were saying things like, “Don’t worry, you’re going to be great. You have nothing to worry about.”

We were supportive of each other, and it was a feeling that was ultimately the most comforting for me.

Seeing simple acts of kindess like that made me realize that we are growing up into supportive, mature and encouraging young adults.

I concluded that even though the senior class can be immature at times, we pull it together when times get tough and we need each other’s support.

So when the senior class and I look back on this day, I hope we’ll remember the journey we all went through to get to this final day, the memories that were made, the support we gave to each other and the reward of completing something that will only get us closer to the finish.

Congratulations seniors! We are one step closer to graduation.

View Comments (2)